What's new
What's new

Need help - McDougall VDF lathe identification & manual

John5

Plastic
I'm wondering if anyone here could help us properly identify this sliding gap McDougall VDF lathe that we acquired not too long ago. More important for us is if anyone can tell us where to get a manual for it! We believe (but may be wrong) that the lathe dates from the 1950's. We are led to believe that it is a V5 but it is larger than described in some V5 information that we have received. The lathe serial # is 4793. It has a swing capacity of 63" x 108" inside the gap and a swing of 30" x 24.5 feet over the bed.

I have attached a few photos below, attaching photos here is a real PITA! I have 19 photos of it here: https://picasaweb.google.com/106017824673360421736/December292012?authkey=Gv1sRgCL2pla64uucR#

Thanks all.

John

McDougall01.JPG

McDougall02.JPG

McDougall03.JPG

McDougall07.JPG

McDougall06.JPG

Attachments

• McDougall01.jpg
    McDougall01.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 456
  • McDougall02.jpg
    McDougall02.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 948
  • McDougall03.jpg
    McDougall03.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 882
  • McDougall04.jpg
    McDougall04.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 868
  • McDougall05.jpg
    McDougall05.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 598
Last edited:
Arno used to post here, he worked for McDougal if I remember correctly unfortunately have not heard from him in a long time
Bob

Yes, I was hoping that he was still around, he's quite knowledgeable on McDougall lathes. I haven't seen posts from him in 2 or 3 months. There is another fellow here who also posts that knows a good bit about these old lathes.

John

John,

I would definitely say that it is a Boehringer V5 headstock (26" swing) with a raiser block (grey) or a V5H (like E2; V3; E3H) to get that swing.
I have left a message with the fellow that took over Reliable Machine repair to see if he can/wants to sell a photo copy of the manual.
The sliding bed is from VDF the base portion was cast and machine in Galt, ON.

Boehringer was finally sold to MAG in Cincinnati, OH MAG - The Global Machine Tool Manufacturer: History
They may be an alternative source.

As far as the serial number goes, it is definitely a Canadian one. When I did main assembly at UBJ in '66/'67 I stamped the bed at about 68XX.
As late as the summer of '66 they still assembled sliding gap lathes in Galt (now Cambridge).

Once I hear back, I shall revert.

John,

The fellow that took over Reliable Machines here in the GTA just called me back and said that hasn't got a V5 manual.

He did say that he has no problems getting parts out of Germany.

So is the bed in 2 parts? To use the gap, the upper part of the bed slides away from the headstock? First time I've seen one that works like that!

I have a McDougall, but it's a wee bit smaller! 20x48.

Andrew

It is most likely a Boehringer 44D or 48D model.

When I got to UBJ all the factory trained guys were Boehringer ex pats, I was the onlt Heidenreich & Harbick er.

John,

The fellow that took over Reliable Machines here in the GTA just called me back and said that hasn't got a V5 manual.

He did say that he has no problems getting parts out of Germany.

Thank you Arno, I much appreciate your time and help!

John

So is the bed in 2 parts? To use the gap, the upper part of the bed slides away from the headstock? First time I've seen one that works like that!

I have a McDougall, but it's a wee bit smaller! 20x48.

Andrew

Yes, the top bed slides away from the headstock. I believe that originally the sliding bed had to be sled (cranked) manually, must have been a good workout! The sliding part is now motorized, looks like an ex-factory addition, with the motor it takes half an hour to slide the bed all the way back.

John

This is a very special Boehringer with components of a V5 or V6 lathe. YOM is most likely 1951, according to the number in the headstock.

Back