What's new
What's new

Need help with obsolete lube equivalent's...

M.B. Naegle

Diamond
Sorry, another one of THOSE threads. Usually I can google around and figure this kind of stuff out on my own but this case is a little more sensitive so I could use some experienced input.

The machine in question is a Moore #2 Jig Borer. I don't want to assume too much with it given how dimensionaly critical these things are. I tried getting ahold of Moore a little while ago but they seemed a bit to busy to bother with something this obsolete. I've got a copy of the manual which requests the following lubricants:

Keystone #44 grease - for the variable speed drive. We use Lubriplate 105 for Bridgeport vari-drives. Would that work or will we need something else?

Keystone #SR-1 liquid grease - for the control motor.

Socony Vacuum Extra Heavy L - gearboxes and central lube system. Socony Vacuum is of course Exxon Mobil now. Other than that, not sure if I need heavy HD fluid or heavy way oil.

The NAMED Vactra are not way oil. The NUMBERED Vactra are way oil

Vactra Extra Heavy is ISO 150. The NAMED Vactra oils are not as high in resistance to oxidation as the DTE oils

The NAMED Vactra are not way oil. The NUMBERED Vactra are way oil

Vactra Extra Heavy is ISO 150. The NAMED Vactra oils are not as high in resistance to oxidation as the DTE oils

Ok, so the current Mobil equivelent would be Mobil DTE Extra Heavy? (looks readily available. $30 a gallon isn't too bad Buy Non-Motor Oils - Free Shipping over $5 | Zoro.com) What does the "L" have to do with the Socony oil? An additive maybe?

Vacuum Oil and Standard Oil of New York (Socony) merged in 1931. The company became Socony Mobil Oil Company in 1955, (and Mobilgas (and later just Mobil) in 1963), so there's a timeframe.

Mobil DTE Extra Heavy ISO 150 circulating oil ought to fit the bill.

Contact Total Brand for the former Keystone products.

Just an Update:
I called Moore and the tech I talked to said the main concern was to avoid anything that would attack the bronze bearings in the machine, which would include a lot of the modern grease and oils with additives in them. Beyond that there was nothing special about the machine to worry about. So as it stands right now:

The Gearboxes and Ways - he said that the Extra Heavy Hydraulic oil would work fine but also recommended Vactra #2.

variable speed drive unit - Regular wheel bearing grease (NLGI#2) is sufficient. If anyone wanted to get fancy (and this is from me, not Moore), I've found that Mobile SHC 100 is good for "precision" low speed applications. I use it for the main spindle bearing in our Delta Rockwell tool-room lathe and will probably pump it into the Moore too.

The Motor Control box - this is one that the manual recommends servicing every 2 years of active use, but if it's that time of.... the century, Moore said to use a heavy differential oil such as is used in old Model T's (due to the bronze bearings), and can be found at Mac's Auto Parts online.

He also recommended using Axle grease for the spindle splines (which wasn't in the manual's regular maintenance).

Just an Update:
I called Moore and the tech I talked to said the main concern was to avoid anything that would attack the bronze bearings in the machine, which would include a lot of the modern grease and oils with additives in them. Beyond that there was nothing special about the machine to worry about. So as it stands right now:

The Gearboxes and Ways - he said that the Extra Heavy Hydraulic oil would work fine but also recommended Vactra #2.

variable speed drive unit - Regular wheel bearing grease (NLGI#2) is sufficient. If anyone wanted to get fancy (and this is from me, not Moore), I've found that Mobile SHC 100 is good for "precision" low speed applications. I use it for the main spindle bearing in our Delta Rockwell tool-room lathe and will probably pump it into the Moore too.
If you want a recommendation try Kendall SHP grease. It's a red NGLI#2 and has a very high 4ball test rating. I use it all over because it heavily resists washout and contamination from coolant and plain water. It does have EP additives of some sort so watch out for bearings with red metal elements. I buy it from a parts house that sells Amalie motor oil - Amalie and Kendall are related.

The Motor Control box - this is one that the manual recommends servicing every 2 years of active use, but if it's that time of.... the century, Moore said to use a heavy differential oil such as is used in old Model T's (due to the bronze bearings), and can be found at Mac's Auto Parts online.
For the real McCoy, call Brian@versamil - he's got barrels of 600W to get rid of -

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/lubricant-worm-gears-bandsaw-349955/?highlight=600W

He also recommended using Axle grease for the spindle splines (which wasn't in the manual's regular maintenance).

I'd use the SHP there too, it's terrific wheel bearing lube.

Back