What's new
What's new

NEED HELP tool changes on Hitachi Seiki HT-20 with 3T

Neil77

Plastic
Hello,

I am a long time reader of this forum but this is my first post. I would appreciate some help with an ongoing issue with one of my machines. I have had this Hitachi Seiki HT-20 for about 4 years. It has an old Fanuc 3T control (with FAPT turn!), and I believe it was built in about 1987 based on dates on some of the parts. The name plate does not have a date on it. This machine is old, but it holds tenths! And it just keeps working, but there is one weird quirk that I have never seen on another machine. When you call a tool, T0101 just say, the turret changes to tool 1, and at the same time THE MACHINE MOVES X AND Z so that the new tool is at the same position as the previous tool.
This is extremely problematic. For one thing, you basically cannot do a tool change at home position, because the machine will often try to move in positive X or Z witch causes an over travel alarm. So you have to move to a "safe" tool change position (by basically guessing) and hope you don't crash. For example, I just set up a job with one drill that is sticking out about 6" from the turret. So the machine rapids about 6" in Z+ when you call the tool, AT THE SAME TIME as the turret is indexing. Very scary.
I assume that there is a parameter that can change this. Maybe some customers wanted to save time on tool changes and had them turn this parameter on? All the other lathes I have run, you send the machine home in X and Z before every tool change for safety, the turret indexes and you go along with your program. Hopefully someone has some knowledge of this, I really like this machine except for this feature.

Thank you,
Neil

FYI I did figure out how to fix this! The back of the manual has all of the parameter descriptions. I had to change parameter 1000, bit 2. See picture of description from the manual.

866DABCC-DA61-4490-A3B2-9B65F148C2A7.jpg

You could have called T0100 to index the turret then apply the offset on the first rapid move. Like this (G0 T0101 X10. Z.5) this should apply the offset and move to the position seamlessly without any nerve racking rapid moves.

Brent

Back