What's new
What's new

Need help with what to do with worm gear.

Anthonycostello

Plastic
Hi, first off I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this or if I’m violating any type of rules please forgive me

So, I have a new unused worm gear 36” size 70 teeth. that I have no real knowledge of any and all information I have is simply from the tags that came with it. I buy and sell industrial surplus but mainly deal in valves and flow control but I’m sure this particular item has some sort of value.

Also it is just the wheel (or gear) no shaft

I fully understand that this is not the for sale forum I am simply asking for advise/help on any type of information you guys may have or be able to tell me on what to do with this I will attach all information I have available in the photos and please again forgive me if this is violating any type of rules let me know if I am and will promptly post in the correct forum

CFADBC19-E6A5-4020-AACB-E430F2471D4E.jpg

D5032F5A-EC72-472B-A031-4D93C0EECF4D.jpg

Attachments

• 0845CFD3-9663-442A-BBC4-E2C0347CF18B.jpg
    0845CFD3-9663-442A-BBC4-E2C0347CF18B.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 218
That is exactly what I meant. The chances of finding someone who needs that exact item are slim. It does have scrap value because it is made of bronze.

....Ive scrapped bronze worm wheels that size,new ,that I knew exactly what they came out of.......timber winches off dozers.....Ive also scrapped brand new,unused 30 ton cap McKee winches ,because the big tree industry is dead,dead ,dead, as in greenies have killed the industry stone dead with the help of morons who live in apartments and think trees can cry.....PS bronze scrap is around $4/kg here.

....Ive scrapped bronze worm wheels that size,new ,that I knew exactly what they came out of.......timber winches off dozers.....Ive also scrapped brand new,unused 30 ton cap McKee winches ,because the big tree industry is dead,dead ,dead, as in greenies have killed the industry stone dead with the help of morons who live in apartments and think trees can cry.....PS bronze scrap is around $4/kg here.

Australia has trees?

Be thankful trees CAN "cry" or we'd have no pine rosin for Violin bows, no natural rubber, let alone Maple surple..

:D

A Bronze worm wheel - large as that especially - is worth serious coin as-had ....IF someone who needs it, needs it. Yah do NOT wanna know what it would cost to have one fabbed from a cold start to put something-or-other in dire need of it back into service!

The metal alone needed to make sumthin' in that size is challenging-costly to acquire. All the more so if it has to be machined from solid - mostly being turned into chips - rather than cleaning up operations done to-near-final shape casting.

Worth a good deal of research to ID what it was made for.

The very existence of it as a "packaged" item hints at a repair part for an application where they routinely wore-out or stood damage. Read construction, mud-moving, agro out in the dirty-dirty world more likely than machine-tools. Small crane or trackhoe turret? Lifting or winching gear? Weapons turret?

If, and only if, that turns out to be a truly obsolete need?

See if an inventorish person could DIY sumthin' useful with it - even if it was "overkill" for the task.

Only THEN scrap. Sadly.

Last edited:

Back