What's new
What's new

Need ideas on how to make large square thread?

ferrretcatcher

Aluminum
Hello all, I need some ideas on how to make some large square odd threads. My press brake is supposed to have large stop nuts on the threaded portion but they weren't there when I purchased it and I'm trying to bring it back to life. The threaded portion of the cylinders that stick out are 3.25 diameter by 2.66 tpi and 6" long. I measured 14 threads and it was 5.25 inches so that works out to 2.66 tpi. I haven't found a local manual lathe that will do a odd thread like this so I'm probably stuck with paying someone with a cnc lathe. My other thought was could I threadmill it with a specially ground cutter in my cnc mill or will the threads not come out square? It can be done on a lathe somewhere but are there specific square threading inserts for this application? I used to use sandvik corocut grooving heads at a previous job but not sure if a grooving insert would make square threads? This is for a Pearson press brake and I need to make 2 of these stop nuts. Also the machine came from England and I have ran across more than a few BSW and BSPP on this machine. I'll get some pictures soon and put them up here.

Back