What's new
What's new

Need ideas for shop security internet

thumper

Aluminum
My shop is in the county. No internet service I know of. Asked the security installer about a Jetpack from Verizon, he said it wouldn't work.What are you guys using for security camera notifications of being broke into? I'm getting a motion system installed that has its own cellular service that will notify me of a detection or break in. I want the added security camera's also. I'm on the road a lot. Usually at least 8 months of the year. Kinda like the idea of a 2 layer system. Also like to see who's in the shop before I unleash the Sheriff on them.

Most security systems will provide a output signal that can be wired to lights and horns or sirens.
Just plain chaos in the building may work better than notifying you or the local police.
Strobes and 130+db sound make most decide to go somewhere else unless you have very determined thieves. You want to introduce all out mayhem in which a normal person can no longer think.
Nowadays they all expect cameras so they wear hoodies, glasses and stolen plates on the vehicle so pics are of little use.
Bob

Hi
I can't answer your question directly but false alarm rate is important for security systems. False alarms unleashing 130dB horns and bright lights will only attract complaints and degrade your confidence in the system. There is a local system (and most likely and equivalent in the USA) that allows you to see images on your phone after the alarm is triggered. You then have the option of setting off horns, lights, the police etc.

You should also be doing is discouraging anyone from breaking in. Good locks, strong doors, no or barred windows, sensor lights, security cameras (fake or real) etc etc. None of those will stop a determined thief, but the might decide to go for a softer target down the street.

The security people are installing a outdoor siren. My neighbors are just across the street. I like your idea on lights and maybe a inside siren also. Maybe 2 strobe lights would help.2 shops next to mine were broke into also. They had cameras and your right they wore bandannas and mask to defeat them.

I think cameras are more help than Carbidebob thinks - I think this because the police tell me that at least around here (fairly nice area) - theren't as many thieves as you might think, and many of them (or their vehicles) are known to the police.... His words were "it gives us a place to start"...

(Not to say there aren't higher skill thieves like Bob is refering too - they exist, but whacked out people looking to fund a hit are a huge huge part of the problem too.)

As for the internet question - the issue with a hotspot like a jetpack is that it's meant to be a client endpoint, not a server. One could imagine a security system that wakes up, opens a link to a web page somewhere else, and sends it a report - but a lot of them are set up as servers.

Note also that there are other kinds of cellular data services - the monitored fire alarm at my shop uses one.

I'm with Carbide Bob.....I now have two....yes TWO Federal Signal train horns hooked up
to 1/2in. shop air lines. These combined with a few 130db sirens and some strobes create
a sonic hell. Even with hearing protection on it's a very unpleasant place to be when it goes off.
I figure if someone breaks in they ain't staying long, have the usual dialer to home and cell also.
Every thing is hard wired and in several years have not had a false alarm.
David

"long ago".. and only about a mile away... there was an alarm system that didn't make any fantastic noises at all..

It seemed like a good idea at the time that an intruder could hear the hiss of organophosphate aerosols being released... AND ALSO the recorded voice warning that the premises were being fumigated with toxic aerosols.

Insecticides are cheap enough by the case. So are solenoids.

"Nuisance Alarm?"

Well.. it sure clears out the damned bugs, so where's the harm in a bit of "collateral damage" of that sort?

:D

FWIW-not-much-department. Insecticide grade (AND NOT Military weapons-grade) Organophosphates are 'survivable'.

They just f**k a person up for a while if dumb enough to ignore the very real - and a tad scary - effects when they start.

A Halon system with warning signs. Probably wouldn't stop the dumb ones, da... what is Halon?

A surplus yard local to me had people cutting through the fence and cruising the yard for free stuff, probably to sell for drugs. The owner got one of the regular customers to weld up a couple of brackets to mount the old style camera boxes. The cameras were not recording anything, not hooked up at all. It worked. I think a blinking LED behind the front lens cover would be better.

I have seen plenty of videos by security cameras that do little more then let you watch all your nice stuff get stolen over and over again.

Secure doors and windows are key, make them so they need a cutting torch to get inside. Any machinist should be able to beef up door frames and bars for the windows.

Sad we have to make our spaces look like a prison. :(

So a real problem (at least in Western WA) is that a great many thieves are really really not bright. How do I know?

1. They stole the storm grate out of the my parking lot. :skep: Computed that the scrap value was less than the cost of food to make enough energy to haul the thing away. They got 45c, I paid $1000 to replace it, with a new frame, bolted in. :mad5:

2. During remodel, they broke into the shop and stole installed wiring. But left spools behind. :nutter:

3. The paper reported that not far from my shop, an unusual accident occured. Suspect is driving with a suspended license. The state trooper who arrested him, leading to the suspended license, passes by the other way and sees him driving, trooper turns on lights and makes to turn around and come after him. So he tries to swap seats with his passenger while the car is in motion, presumably to present an argument that the trooper was mistaken. They drive off into a storm water retention pond, while attempting the seat switch.

Some of us may face more sophisticated thieves, but a lot of them are like the ones above....

Half the things the security companies tell you, you need to take with a grain of salt.

Around here they use cellular for a backup, they can't be high bandwidth though, like a camera.

You can buy your own wireless cameras or wired and hook them into a PC or DVR and then use that device to talk to your Internet connection. The wireless home and phone from AT&T works pretty good. The device they are using picks up signal where phones don't.

Have you checked for smaller providers of satellite internet? Usually not very fast, but you could possibly stream a camera feed. At the very least send an alert with still pictures and have it save the video to a computer in the shop.

Back