What's new
What's new

need a lead on a special tap

77ironhead

Titanium
need a lead on a special tap: 21/32-28 thread

I'm trying to source a 21/32 28TPI tap....anyone know where I can get one off the shelf, or am I going to have to get a 'special' made?

Last edited:
I'm trying to source a 21/32 28TPI tap....anyone know where I can get one off the shelf, or am I going to have to get a 'special' made?

Some extra info might help give "ideas".

1. How many threads are you making?
2. What material are you making threads in?
3. For yourself or for a customer?

Can't imagine what a thread like that would even be for. How sure are you that that is the tap you want?

Won't be easy either but you might have a better chance with 5/8-28, 11/16-28 or M16x1.

to AARONT- all manual in my shop, so thread milling isn't an option

to deadend and Gordon- it's in mild steel, and it's to match an existing thread. It's for a customer, (2 pc order), and if he likes it (and his customers like it), option on more.

on edit- my customer is aware of the potential higher cost possible with a custom tap, but the time factor of having one made as opposed to an off the shelf is higher priority. He'd like to have a proof-of-concept in 9 days, but if that isn't do-able he's understanding.

I use Kromehard Twist Drill in Akron 866 863 3344. Or Widell in Michigan. They'll make you anything! 800 237 5963 Pricing's not bad either. Yes, they're quick. They even have some specials in stock..........ya never know!

One more (off the wall?) option:

Depends on how much pressure there is to get this done, and I assume the part configuration and size preclude single-pointing it on a lathe faceplate or you would have been done long ago. But, one other possible solution just for proof of concept might be, if there is enough surrounding meat, to make a sleeve that consists of a standard, larger OD thread in which you have drilled and single-pointed the 21/32-28 TPI thread. Loctite in the sleeve and you have a working proof-of-concept.

Variations: silver solder in a smooth OD single-pointed sleeve as this requires less surrounding metal but still has excellent strength, or Loctite in a smooth sleeve if there is only moderate distraction force on the sleeve.

Denis

It's great there are still companies in the US who can make stuff like that.

I'll bet it's for something old...and probably a motorcycle.

Change the thread and put the thread size in the tittle. that will get more people looking at the thread if they have such a tap on the shelf.
Bill D.

GregSy- yep, 70+ years old, not mc though

Bill- not sure how to edit the title?:confused:

dg- my lathe isn't capable of single-point right now, or this would have been done yesterday!

everyone else, thanks!

GregSy- yep, 70+ years old, not mc though

Bill- not sure how to edit the title?:confused:

dg- my lathe isn't capable of single-point right now, or this would have been done yesterday!

everyone else, thanks!

I think it is not possible to modify a thread title---I have wanted to do so on some of my thread titles in the past. If someone knows how, I'd like to know.

If you lived closer, you could stop by my shop and we'd get that single-pointing done in short order. Betcha if you started a thread with a request for help, there are enough willing PMers who live near enough that you'd be set by tomorrow night.

Denis

I think it is not possible to modify a thread title---I have wanted to do so on some of my thread titles in the past. If someone knows how, I'd like to know.

If you lived closer, you could stop by my shop and we'd get that single-pointing done in short order. Betcha if you started a thread with a request for help, there are enough willing PMers who live near enough that you'd be set by tomorrow night.

Denis

Go to "edit post" then go to "advanced". Go to the title block and give it a try. Maybe?

Hey 77ironhead,
Iff'n your interested your more than welcome to bring your part over and use my tired old lathes..
Send me a PM
Stay safe
Calvin B ( from Archie's shop )

Back