What's new
What's new

Need localized info. on insert nomenclature

litlerob1

Diamond
So our secretary was given a new responsibility, (surprise to her)she is now in charge of purchasing perishable tooling. She has a good attitude about it and wants to understand the nomenclature, so for example she wants a reference so that when we run in and say we need a box of WNMG 432's she wants to be able to reference that to a picture or something like that for her own knowledge base, so she has a better understanding of this new job. I said hey I bet I know some people that can help us out with this, sooooo any one know an online reference for general insert nomenclature?

Robert, thanks

You give her a part # and a place to get it... Or the boss will have his fingers in there and you'll be getting some generic
garbage from SHARS.. Grades, edge prep, blah blah blah...

Where I used to work, the owner wanted to move the purchasing of tools out of the shop... Make it inventory based.. We were a
JOB SHOP!!! This week I'll need qty3 1/2" 3 flute 3"loc endmills, for one job... Do we need to keep stock on those? I don't
think so, I won't need another one for 4 years...

If you are running the same parts, every day, all day, for years on end... Makes sense..

Are you going to tell her I need some CNMG432's, and she's just going to find the cheapest ones she can? Is she going to
become your tooling guru and order the proper grade, coating and chip breaker?

I'm not putting down your secretary, she appears to want to do her best, but there is a lot more involved than shape and size.

Jeebus Bob :) I know what I'm asking and what she is looking for. She simply wants to be able to do her job effectively. I'm not even getting into grades with her yet or coatings or chip breakers, just basically shape, size, radius, IC basics to help START to understand WTF were even talking about, she has the job, I'm not going to the owner to tell him it isn't the best idea, or that he's a fool.

Jeebus Bob :) I know what I'm asking and what she is looking for. She simply wants to be able to do her job effectively. I'm not even getting into grades with her yet or coatings or chip breakers, just basically shape, size, radius, IC basics to help START to understand WTF were even talking about, she has the job, I'm not going to the owner to tell him it isn't the best idea, or that he's a fool.

Sorry man, I went through a similar thing years ago, and it came from the top... And the logistics were simply not going to work, or they would
have cost a ton of money.... We always had the basics, but 50% or more of the tools where specific to a job and where chosen for a reason, and
we did not need stock on those. Then again, what was wanted was somebody outside the shop being in charge of the tooling ordering and INVENTORY.

If you can just call up front and tell her that you need some CNMG432's in a CP9040 grade, nothing wrong with that.

Does she not have google? If she can't even id a mistry object just how the hell is she ever going to buy it for a good price?

Well good on you for being charitable litlerob1. I agree with the comment that a part # is a good idea if you are using the makers toolholder or have one you favor.

Since looking at the cat's for sandvik & seco give me a headache, I'll post up scans from the way back machine where carboloy managed to get the all the info on one friggin' page for nomenclature. All the chipbreakers offered on another page without lines going everywhere & I'd forget what I was looking for… The first 2 thumbnails need to be stuck back together (couldn't shrink it & still read it).

It's all the same except for chipbreaker designations in the last 2 places – we used to use the feed-force numbers with the cartridge toolholders and the high number of clearance possibilities available to cook up a lot of combinations for what we thought we needed. Different makers seem to fool with these (letters & numbers) for chipbreakers. Except for the warts & bumps they all present the same or similar shears (orthogonal) as the old days. We didn't have “steam punk, billet & bling” back then...

Good luck,
Matt

On edit, I forgot the trigon's didn't exist then so I added them on the scan.

Attachments

• InsertTypes_Turning_Cut.jpg
    InsertTypes_Turning_Cut.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 18,152
  • InsertTypes_Turning_Cut2.jpg
    InsertTypes_Turning_Cut2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 6,225
  • InsertShape_Turning.jpg
    InsertShape_Turning.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 4,651
Angles

There is a method behind my OP, I'm not going to bad mouth the boss. BUT, if I can get this gal familiar enough with the designations and lingo, then she doesn't have to go to him for approval (or whatever)? validation? to make a purchase, we can just hand her a slip of paper and tomorrow whalla. It sucks to need to tell the old school machinist "if I need a drill, don't bring me a 118° jobber drill unless I ask for it, all screw machine drills are assumed" but to the gal, she doesn't care. Same with the turning and milling inserts, if she starts to be able to talk her own shit the less he has to do. See I'm doing him a favor :)

Robert

Back