What's new
What's new

Need to make missing parts for collet closer on a Takisawa

arsenix

Aluminum
Just bought a new to new Takisawa TSL-1000. It came with a JFK 5C collet closer arm, but was missing the spindle nose adapter as well as the "indexing hub" and the rear spindle adapter. I realized the nose was missing but didn't realize about the rear parts. Never used a closer of this style so that was a dope move. That would certainly have been a negotiating point.

JFK will sell me the bits for a kings ransom. I may just machine up the missing parts. Why have machine tools if you can't make stuff?

Does anyone have a Takisawa with a JFK collet closer on it? I'm hoping to get some pics or description of what the spindle end parts look like. The end of the spindle does not protrude past the rear cover and the hole in the rear cover is only about .5" larger in diameter than the end of the spindle. The "indexing hub" is much larger than this hole so it will have to come out to open the cover. Not a huge deal since I won't need to access it frequently.

Closer parts

Just bought a new to new Takisawa TSL-1000. It came with a JFK 5C collet closer arm, but was missing the spindle nose adapter as well as the "indexing hub" and the rear spindle adapter. I realized the nose was missing but didn't realize about the rear parts. Never used a closer of this style so that was a dope move. That would certainly have been a negotiating point.

JFK will sell me the bits for a kings ransom. I may just machine up the missing parts. Why have machine tools if you can't make stuff?

Does anyone have a Takisawa with a JFK collet closer on it? I'm hoping to get some pics or description of what the spindle end parts look like. The end of the spindle does not protrude past the rear cover and the hole in the rear cover is only about .5" larger in diameter than the end of the spindle. The "indexing hub" is much larger than this hole so it will have to come out to open the cover. Not a huge deal since I won't need to

access it frequently.

You may be better off to buy the parts as they should be hardened and close fit. The complete closer should add to the value of the lathe. When you think of buying material ,making the disk with all the holes in it. Then making the mounting tube to attach disk to lathe . Setting up the taper for inside and outside of nose piece . And heat treating parts.and a couple other set ups to drill and tap parts to mate them.
That said I would complete the lever collet set up one way or another.

As collets can let you grip square and hex parts use an Id collet to hold parts from the inside of bores.

Look on eBay for used parts.
Jimsehr

You may be right. I'll see what it all costs from JFK. I will plan to buy the taper adapter at the very least since that should be hardened and ground. I don't have grinding equipment but I do have a cnc milling machine. As with any new machine I'm going to be in for some expenses for tooling.

This is a bit of a burn since one of the reasons I bought this lathe was the closer! Had I realized these extra parts were missing I would have knocked more $$ off the price. I really like the lever closer on my old lathe so I'll get it going one way or another.

Back