What's new
What's new

Need a new band saw. Any suggestions?

ASARGENT

Cast Iron
We are currently looking into purchasing a new band saw for our shop. We have 3 of them right now. Two are Do-All and one is a Wells brand (older). Does anyone have any input on quality of band saws right now. We mostly cut steel, stainless and aluminum right now and our sizes can vary from 1/2" all the way to 12". We do also cut tubing, so adjustable jaw pressure would be a plus. Is trading in on another DO-ALL the way to go, or are there much better alternatives out there? We looked at many other brands at the last tool show we went to, but don't know a whole lot about any of them. Don't remember them specifically, but I am pretty sure we looked at pretty much all of the brands that they make.

Any help would be a plus, but I would prefer to get testimonials from those actually using the saws and not sales reps. thanks.

In horizontal bandsaws I am very impressed with my Hyd-Mech S-12. Its an older saw, plc controlled, programmable length feed and more bells and whistles than I generally use. It is the best horizontal saw I have ever run. This is comparing to a newer swivel head doall ( which is nice if you need miters), but if all you are doing is whacking stock try a hyd-mech.

Amada's saws will make you want to throw rocks at any other brand, and, as of a few years ago, you could buy an Amada cheaper than an equivalent size Do All. Milacron may still be your friendly Amada dealer too.

Marvel also made a real top shelf horizontal saw, but I don't know it they're still made or not. Marvel was manufactured by Armstrong-Blum, so if you see the Marvel name but its now made by someone else, that'd be a red flag to look closely before leaping.

Back