What's new
What's new

Need a New collet chuck, larger than 5C and common

mmarquette

Cast Iron
5C has its limit on size and want the next biggest , was looking at a 2j and think I remember seeing a 16 c. Want to know which is more common and easier to find collets for and if I'm missing one I don't know about.

My casual impression is that 3J is more common than 16C, and less common than 2J. I don't have any of those
collet systems in my shop, so that's a very casual view.

You definitely don't want 22J if you want common. It took me years to assemble a set of 22J collets.

Totally unscientific analysis. Checking eBay for "2J collet" brings up 113 results. That includes collets, stops and chucks.

"3J Collet" brings up 260 results.

"16C Collet", 533.

:D

It's been my impression- and of course that's all it is, is an impression- that the 2J, 3J and 22J styles are older. Maybe not truly obsolete yet, but the kind of thing you'd find on old Sjogren chucks and the like.

Whereas 16C is considered more modern- the kind of thing you'll find in power closers, and built into the nose of CNC turning centers.

Personally, it's the kind of thing that if you're just expecting to buy a single set of collets and call it good, any one of them will work- all of them are available new and used, near as I can tell.

But if you're a production shop, and expect to buy odd sizes on a regular basis, or 'emergency' soft collets to machine for special applications, go with the 16C. That seems to have the most current support.

You definitely don't want 22J if you want common. It took me years to assemble a set of 22J collets.

-Took me less than six minutes to assemble a set of 3Js. :D

Found an L-1 threaded 3J Sjogren on eBay, bid and won. Went to the guy's store to get a total for shipping (I'm in Alaska, of course.) Saw that he had a set of four Hardinge 3J collets, with the auction about to close in literally like a minute and a half. Bid and won, again.

Went back to the guy's store to get a total with shipping, saw there was a second batch of Hardinges about to close. Bid and won those too.

Did that three more times, got a nearly full set of 1/4" to 1-3/4", all, including the chuck, for less than $300. :D

Doc.

Thanks 3j had not come up on my radar. Had found some 2j chucks and collets. The 1.75 does accomplish what I want for sure

[h=2]Need a New collet chuck, larger than 5C and common[/h]
5C has its limit on size and want the next biggest , was looking at a 2j and think I remember seeing a 16 c. Want to know which is more common and easier to find collets for and if I'm missing one I don't know about.
What spindle nose do you want the chuck to fit?

I have never seen a 16C collet chuck, but know that Hardinge makes CNC lathes that use 16C collets directly in the spindle, similar to the many Hardinge machines that use 5C collets.

The J collets, 1J, 2J and 3J, were designed for the Hardinge Sjogren collet chucks, but the 1J was not popular. The 2J and 3J are common in used condition or new from Hardinge.

Used Jacobs 900 series Rubberflex collets and chucks are pretty common and have 1 3/8" round capacity.

Pratt Burnerd Multisize chucks and collets were made in 1.5", 2.0" and 2.5" max round capacity. The chucks were made with either key or lever closing and are sized as 15, 20 and 25 and the associated collets have C, D and E in the number. Each collet has a 1/8" grip range, so there are not very many collets in a set and they work on inch or metric stock. I have an unused LC25 lever chuck with D1-8 mount and a set of used E collets that i would sell.

About 1980, I bought a new German lever closer chuck that takes B42 Index collets with up to 1 5/8" capacity and accumulated a lot of collets for it. Never used it, so it is for sale. Hardinge has new collets.

Larry

I have never seen a 16C collet chuck[...]

-Well, not a "chuck", per se, but when I looked at 16C stuff earlier, I saw... I guess a nose extension, for A-series spindles. Same concept as the tapered 5C adapter the smaller home-shop lathes use, and clearly intended to use with some sort of closer drawtube. (Probably power.)

Doc.

for what its worth a 16c collet nose was factory supplied on my 80’s nakamura cnc lathe, and I was easily able to acquire a set of collets for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a New collet chuck, larger than 5C and common

What spindle nose do you want the chuck to fit?

I have never seen a 16C collet chuck, but know that Hardinge makes CNC lathes that use 16C collets directly in the spindle, similar to the many Hardinge machines that use 5C collets.

The J collets, 1J, 2J and 3J, were designed for the Hardinge Sjogren collet chucks, but the 1J was not popular. The 2J and 3J are common in used condition or new from Hardinge.

Used Jacobs 900 series Rubberflex collets and chucks are pretty common and have 1 3/8" round capacity.

Pratt Burnerd Multisize chucks and collets were made in 1.5", 2.0" and 2.5" max round capacity. The chucks were made with either key or lever closing and are sized as 15, 20 and 25 and the associated collets have C, D and E in the number. Each collet has a 1/8" grip range, so there are not very many collets in a set and they work on inch or metric stock. I have an unused LC25 lever chuck with D1-8 mount and a set of used E collets that i would sell.

About 1980, I bought a new German lever closer chuck that takes B42 Index collets with up to 1 5/8" capacity and accumulated a lot of collets for it. Never used it, so it is for sale. Hardinge has new collets.

Larry

Larry, you are a font of knowledge. Excellent and very informative post. You should make some sort of list of the things you have for sale, I see you are always offering things up. I'm sure you have some things I would buy.

Will most likely go on my L1 Hendey don’t know about putting it on my L2 one might be to big. Looking at em last night the 2 J is reasonably priced compared to others. But has its size limits compared to the 16c and 3J

Back