What's new
What's new

Need a new rotary tool Dremel or similar

cmccull166

Hot Rolled
My Dremel is on its last legs it was the "pistol" grip style that worked quite well but doesn't appear to be made any longer,or I would buy another.

It would see the most use using craytex type wheels.
Any suggestions?
Oh, and a cordless model.
Thanks

no pro uses a dremel that I know of, foredom flex shaft usually. milwaukee makes a neat little cordless unit I've been looking at tho, but no personal experience with it.

For Craytex type wheels, I'd think you'd want a 1/4" collet and a proper die grinder? A pneumatic tool is one possibility and lighter than most electric units. Makita makes a cordless die grinder -- likely most other major tool manufacturers as well.

After wearing out several Dremels over the years, I secured an NSK Electric handpiece. Expensive, but worth every bit of the cost. Buffalo makes some good handpieces also. Not cordless units, but the cords are not a problem.

For Craytex type wheels, I'd think you'd want a 1/4" collet and a proper die grinder? A pneumatic tool is one possibility and lighter than most electric units. Makita makes a cordless die grinder -- likely most other major tool manufacturers as well.

to many, Cratex is known primarily for its small wheels (sub 1") and points, supplying the dental, jewelry and diemaking industries. a 1/4 collet die grinder tool would be virtually unusable with these.
they do also make larger wheels.

I have some Chicago Pneumatics (not the harbor freight crap) die grinders. I particularly love love love my right-angle head model and use it for everything. Dremels suck in comparison. This is so easy to hold in the hand and use even with the air line out the bottom, super easy and never bugs me, very nice on the hand. I have two Metabos and am more on the 'hate' side with them. I love that the 6" grinder has so much power I don't think you could stall the 6" cutoff wheel, and in a small grinder body it is very versatile. But they are HEAVY as crap and get hot, especially the fancy Inox version one I have that will burn your hand through gloves if you use it as intended.

My Dremel is on its last legs it was the "pistol" grip style that worked quite well but doesn't appear to be made any longer,or I would buy another.

It would see the most use using craytex type wheels.
Any suggestions?
Oh, and a cordless model.
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but, I should have included.. this is just for deburring small features slots, steps and such.
Im just looking for light easy to maneuver varible speed the dremel lasted for several years so I am rather happy with it.

I think it was 80.00

$80 for a Dremel? I hope you got a bucket load of accessories and bits with it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions but, I should have included.. this is just for deburring small features slots, steps and such.
Im just looking for light easy to maneuver varible speed the dremel lasted for several years so I am rather happy with it.

I think it was 80.00

Let me put in a vote for air power. For things like Cratex wheels, I'd suggest an air drill designed for dental labs. They can be held much like a dental drill, which is nice. But they are a couple inches longer, and that tail could be 1 1/2" in diameter. They tend to take 3/32 bits. They're much slower speed than modern dental drills and they have all the torque you need. You could get one and a foot pedal control for under a couple of hundred bucks.

Ron

Why are people ignoring the OP's requests?
Cordless. Low buck $80 dollar range.

I've not seen a air powered cordless, please let me know as that would be sweet.
Been using electric and air powered for a while starting with porting bikes in the 60's.
Now I have lord knows how many air grinders from big to micro but they all share one problem.
A big ass cord, and a clean air supply ready on demand.
Number two not a problem for me since I pay to have air on all the time 24/7. Not the same for some so you sit while the pressure builds.
That on demand air supply is a killer for many users. Those of us who have it think it like a 120 volt plug. Not so for others.
At home if I want to kiss a bit of off something and have to fire up the compressor and wait.....puck that grab a file, good enough.

Sometimes that little weenie Dremel is just what the doctor ordered.
I have 2 of these in the cabinet for people to use. Quick relese chucks, low powered, miles of runout, not robust. Get used a few times a month.
But just the ticket for a quick fix.
Problem, they have cords. So that's $3-8 dollars to go get an extension cord and lay it. (Not to mention the OSHA violation when doing this.. trip hazard.. don't get caught there.)
Same problem with air but worse. (yes the air grinders make it up in speed....usaslly)

Cordless makes so much sense to me, the ease of use and flexibility would pay off.
Before you pounce I know the difference in working with a Dremel, NSKs and the in betweens.

Low price, cordless, die grinder type tool?
Bob

Why are people ignoring the OP's requests?
Cordless. Low buck $80 dollar range.

I've not seen a air powered cordless, please let me know as that would be sweet.
Been using electric and air powered for a while starting with porting bikes in the 60's.
Now I have lord knows how many air grinders from big to micro but they all share one problem.
A big ass cord, and a clean air supply ready on demand.
Number two not a problem for me since I pay to have air on all the time 24/7. Not the same for some so you sit while the pressure builds.

Sometimes that little weenie Dremel is just what the doctor ordered.
I have 2 of these in the cabinet for people to use. Quick release chucks, low powered, miles of runout, not robust. Get used a few times a month.
But just the ticket for a quick fix.
Problem, they have cords. So that's $3-8 dollars to go get an extension cord and lay it. (Not to mention the OSHA violation when doing this.. trip hazard)
Same problem with air but worse. (yes the air grinders make it up in speed....usually)

Cordless makes so much sense to me, the ease of use and flexibility would pay off.
Before you pounce I know the difference in working with a Dremel, NSKs and the in betweens.

Low price, cordless, light to medium duty, die grinder type tool with a decent run life and easy/quick chuck?
If nothing else this would be nice for the dog's nails.
Bob

I had a pistol cordless Dremel for a few years; super handy for deburring punch head collets and quick cleaning a bolts or rack off. It never had the power, control, or silky making of the foredom. The foredom doesn't fit into carpenter jean quick draw pocket sadly. I have a newer model (straight, not pistol) cordless Dremel - more power and rpm, it works, it was relatively cheap at home depot - battery does not have a good fit into the charger, does not fit in carpenter jean pocket. Fits into hoody pocket. The Dremel is for work, the foredom is for the home shop.

Back