What's new
What's new

Need nmtb50 arbors for larger face mills, make or buy?

Cannonmn

Stainless
I’m not finding nmtb 50 arbors with four-bolt hole circle and 2 or 2 1/2 inch pilot. Who has a pile of rusty ones they’d sell me? I’m fixed for nmtb50 face mills with non-bolt-hole arbors for current needs but I’d like to put these together for future needs.

John Morris has shared 13 photos with you! | Flickr

One face mill needs arbor with 3” threaded pilot.

Last edited:
Thx, I missed that one, gotta see what I’m doing wrong in searches. Some of the 2” pilot ones incl that one I should be able to adapt to 2.5” by making a simple ring with means to hold in place, for me just adding a radial setscrew would be enough. But then I’d need sleeves for the smaller screws like 3/8 since most of the bolt holes are larger dia. Then I get into whether the smaller bolts are enuf or might shear. I guess experience will tell but I’ll have to use care when adapting those things.

Last edited:
I searched for "50 taper shell" and that was in the first page of results. I find sometimes being less specific in my search terms is more productive, for items that are less common. 50 taper arbor would be good also, or "50 taper 2" I try several combinations like that when I search for scarce items.. When there are only a couple pages of results, I can quickly scan the results for the right items,and visually sort out the Cat and BT tools, rather than search for "2" NMTB 50 taper Shell Mill Arbor" and possibly get nothing, because the sellers don't describe them completely. Don't forget to try using the "search descriptions" check box.

The four 5/8 tapped holes are part of the standard NMTB 50 spindle nose.

Many face mills so attached just used a 50 taper "centering plug"

The four 5/8 tapped holes are part of the standard NMTB 50 spindle nose.

Many face mills so attached just used a 50 taper "centering plug"

And when it comes to using big cutters, the difference between having a large cutter hanging off an arbor as opposed to bolted direct to a spindle flange is like night and day, ...plus you gain more space / movement on Y

Back