Need an old machine tool wizard for Enco mill issues.
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need an old machine tool wizard for Enco mill issues.

Hi guys, I am new to this forum business but Google has left me in the dark. My dad has given me his 1984 Enco model 91002 manual milling machine. It's in decent condition except for the lead screw and cross feed nuts which are pretty sloppy. I have had no luck at all trying to find replacement nuts. Does anyone know of a source for these? I have pondered attempting to make replacements but am inexperienced and would like very good, usable nuts. No idea what material they are made from, bronze, brass or some alloy. I have seen a few videos on YouTube of guys fully separating these but I believe mine are probably too worn to expect decent backlash on the bed feed screws even if fully separated. I am open to any suggestions, part source info or fabrication ideas. Please pardon any misuse of terminology as I am not a machinist just a machinist wannabe. Thanks all!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    Hi guys, I am new to this forum business but Google has left me in the dark. My dad has given me his 1984 Enco model 91002 manual milling machine. It's in decent condition except for the lead screw and cross feed nuts which are pretty sloppy. I have had no luck at all trying to find replacement nuts. Does anyone know of a source for these? I have pondered attempting to make replacements but am inexperienced and would like very good, usable nuts. No idea what material they are made from, bronze, brass or some alloy. I have seen a few videos on YouTube of guys fully separating these but I believe mine are probably too worn to expect decent backlash on the bed feed screws even if fully separated. I am open to any suggestions, part source info or fabrication ideas. Please pardon any misuse of terminology as I am not a machinist just a machinist wannabe. Thanks all!
    Is this a copy of a Bridgeport ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Install a DRO and live with it until you gain some competence.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't believe so. I think the Bridgeport's nuts are completely cylindrical where the Enco cross feed nut has a pair of dog ears to bolt it down. Lead screw nut has extra brass/bronze up top with a single threaded hole to bolt it up. Thank you for helping.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is the DRO going to fix massive slop? Just going to tell me where I am isn't it? Sorry, new.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe so. I think the Bridgeport's nuts are completely cylindrical where the Enco cross feed nut has a pair of dog ears to bolt it down. Lead screw nut has extra brass/bronze up top with a single threaded hole to bolt it up. Thank you for helping.
    I'm not talking if it's a bridgy copy "At that level of detail" just is it a copy of a bridgy overall ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How is the DRO going to fix massive slop? Just going to tell me where I am isn't it? Sorry, new.
    IT means you use the table locks and ignore the numbers on the dial

Enco bought machines from whoever was cheap, think 'Eddys Milling machines' in Chinese

That means parts or even assembly style may vary

First determine which is worse, nuts or screws. If huge play in the middle and nothing at the ends, it is mostly screw

On a Bridgeport the x/y nuts are sit in a casting, the bronze is just a piece that slips in and can be spread with a screw to take up slack

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I have only seen a couple of Bridgeports and neither of them recently. Could not speak to the level of design overlap.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Gustafson, yes the Bridgeport nuts slide into a keyed casting. I believe I saw that on YouTube while researching my issue. The "Enco" nuts are completely different. Beginning to look like fabbing my own may be the only way to replace the old. Slop is a tiny bit better on the extremes of bed travel but I am talking tiny. So I believe the screws can hopefully be reused as is. I am guessing running to a local machine shop and having them one off a couple screws and nuts would cost more than the entire machine is worth.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can get photos tonight and post them up if that would help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DO the nuts come out of the casting?

Also, how much slop does the machine have relative to thousandths on the dial?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It’s a mill drill… locky poo time ..

( see machinery guidelines )