What's new
What's new

need an operating screw for a 10" pratt burnerd chuck

Frederick Harvie

Stainless
I need an operating screw for a 10" pratt burnerd chuck the diameter is 24mm and over all length is 93 mm it has a 12 mm hex to drive it . the groove for the keeper is 12 mm long and 13.64mm in diameter the short end is 34.41 mm from the end to the start of the retainer groove. It has square threads . Any help would be appreciated

Assume its a 4 jaw ...see if you can find the model number of the chuck ...I have lots of old PB chucks and bits,just about all are different .....of course ,you have a lathe ,you could make one.

Assume its a 4 jaw ...see if you can find the model number of the chuck ...I have lots of old PB chucks and bits,just about all are different .....of course ,you have a lathe ,you could make one.

What you need is a new chuck. Toss that in the scrap bin. If your screw is shot, what chance the rest of it is decent? Pretty low..

How do you know it is not brand new with a MIA screw?
this chuck is part of a lot that I got from a navy machinist training program . For what ever reason the screw is missing . there is no damage to the jaw or the screw retainer even the locking screw for the retainer is in place. I am guessing that it may have been taken out as a training exercise and somehow not returned

this chuck is part of a lot that I got from a navy machinist training program . For what ever reason the screw is missing . there is no damage to the jaw or the screw retainer even the locking screw for the retainer is in place. I am guessing that it may have been taken out as a training exercise and somehow not returned

Or robbed for another chuck ???

FWIW IME they're :eek: $$$$ for what they are, …...…..BOTOH they're not that hard to make, in the past I've used 01 steel and silver soldered a modified allen bolt head (of the correct AF) in to the screw, and not bothered with heat treat.

Okay, that repair wouldn't stand hard core production, but it will light use, ……...the last one I did for a guy on a 10'' Pratt (pre Pratt Burnerd - so OLD OLD) over 10 years ago gets plenty of uses and is still going strong.

Last edited:
Yes i have made one for a mazak back in the day when i was a apprentice.

Just screwcut the thread and cut the notch/ recess. the Square in the end if i recall correctly i drilled a hole then pressed in a piece of HSS the correct AF ( ground for clearance) then pulled it out.

Sure it presses the chips ahead but hole was deep enough to allow for this. chips stayed there.
Worked for years before i left.

FWIW IME they're :eek: $$$$ for what they are, …...…..BOTOH they're not that hard to make, in the past I've used 01 steel and silver soldered a modified allen bolt head (of the correct AF) in to the screw, and not bothered with heat treat.

Okay, that repair wouldn't stand hard core production, but it will light use, ……...the last one I did for a guy on a 10'' Prat (pre Prat Burnerd - so OLD OLD) over 10 years ago gets plenty of uses and is still going strong.

I think you've made a bit of a " prat " of yourself there Sami.

Regards Tyrone.

I found a company in the U.K. that will supply the part Rotagrip. total cost including shipping is about $60 . I tried Pratt Burnerd directly and they referred me to the north american branch who provided a part number and referred me to DGI(doall) who wanted $150

I simply can't see the logic in this as the screw would only fit the exact same model of chuck. So what would be the point of taking apart a good chuck to get a part to fix a chuck to have a working chuck identical to the good chuck that you just sacrificed . On the other hand It was the navy so throw all thought of logic out the window

I found a company in the U.K. that will supply the part Rotagrip. total cost including shipping is about $60 . I tried Pratt Burnerd directly and they referred me to the north american branch who provided a part number and referred me to DGI(doall) who wanted $150

I've dealt with " Rotagrip " in the past. They were OK then, I can't vouch for them with the crisis going on.

Regards Tyrone.

I've dealt with " Rotagrip " in the past. They were OK then, I can't vouch for them with the crisis going on.

Regards Tyrone.

Same here - they were good to me back in the day, but post covid 19 is anybody's guess.

PS Possible warning - they're in Birmingham which is the 2nd hardest hit city in the country.

Back