CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need opinions on MAXIMART looking at 1 1/2VS milling machine

Hi guys,

Well we have now 2 lathes, are building a new shop this fall and I have stumbled into a milling machine for sale at one of our local machine shops. It's a 1996 Maximart 1.5VS with Fagor display. I know nothing about this milling machine, I spent a few hours trying to find info on the web, not much out there, no manuals, or real definitive data that I could find.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with these, or who knows about them, they look well built, this will be our first milling machine, jumping in with both feet as it were.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 55864632110__42d4fb9f-b0cd-4ecd-af54-292a61bfbcf2.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It just a generic Asian import copy of a BP. There is no "maximart" manufacturer - that's just one of many importer names slapped on them. As BP found, 1.5hp on a VS is pretty wimpy... was soon upgraded to 2hp then re-rated to 3 with a time limitation. Will this matter to you? Hard to say unless you tell us what you intend to use it for.

Definitely run it can check out the VS drive - parts are not compatible with BP and there are many internal variations.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks! OKay I understand a lot more already, dind't know the 1.5 was the HP. Also didn't know it was a "generic" machine with various names attached to it. It should help my search for documentation for it. As for use, it will be our first milling machine, my son has used one in school, thought if we could find one not too costly, I would buy it to continue his interest in machining. I have a lot of heavy equipment and I would possibly find this of use to keep them functional.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup. Asian for sure. There's a decent chance that it's Taiwanese rather than Chinese which means it
    can be a decent but light tool. With limits it will do anything that a heavier machine will do; it just has to
    go a little slower because it can't take the big bites. If you use it primarily as a "maintenance" machine
    I think you'll find it very useful. I'd be much more concerned about condition than availability of parts.
    There are a lot of those clones out there and a surprising number of parts will interchange "if" you need
    them.

Where in B.C. are you?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith,

Yes, from Taiwan as indicated on the model number plate. I am just outside Vernon. Yes, just maintenance, no production runs here. Mostly for my son to continue his desire to learn machining, but also for me to learn and use it to keep our dozers and excavator in good repair.

I am still waiting for them to decide on selling price, I have no idea what it would be worth, I guess it depends partly on condition. Your thoughts?

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Condition is everything ! + is veri speed and DRO ,any tooling with it ie vise collets etc. $1000-2000 US would be reasonable, if in VERY good condition Up to $3500 around here.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well shoot, I just spoke with the machine shop owner and they want $5K for it, so back to the hunt. Appreciate the input.

Cheers