What's new
What's new

Need a pinion gear

Chrisboon

Plastic
Hi Guys,
This is my first post on this site. Hope to post many more.
That said, I have a slight problem. I am rebuilding an old Strands gear head drill press. Beautiful machine.
The table adjust pinion gear is damaged. Not much but I would like to replace it. The gear itself seems to be pretty standard except that I cannot find one with the same bore. The specs are as follows.
Spur gear module 2.
17 teeth OD 38mm
Width 20mm
Bore diameter 17mm.
I can find this gear with 12 or 15mm bore diameter.
Does anyone know where to aquire this gear otherwise I guess I will have to get one with smaller diameter and just drill it to 17mm. It may be to hard to drill but I can always make a plan.
Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
Generally stock gears are not hardened ,but are made of hardenable steel (SAE1045)....so you should have no difficulty drilling it.......but better to bore it on a lathe to get an accurate result.

Thank You John.

I just assumed a new gear will be hard as I tried a file on the existing gear and it seemed quite hard. If I replace it I will have it modified on a lathe.

Last edited:
Post a picture of the existing gear, if it's just a little damaged it could be cleaned up. It's just for elevating the table?
I once cleaned up a ring and pinion gear on a 6' King boring machine after one of the grade 8 bolts holding the ring gear had fallen out and passed through the massive 7" wide gears! The damage was considerable but where are you going to find a new ring and pinion gear set without spending multitudes of what the machine was worth. A lot of grinding later with a 4 1/2" angle grinder to remove metal from several bent gear teeth and it was back up and running.
I was called in when the machine just suddenly lurched to a halt! It could still run but it sure was noisy, after checking the gearbox I pulled the table and found the issue. The remains of the 3/4" grade 8 bolt were bent like a pretzel.

Mr Bridgeport

Sorry for the late reply.
Here are some photos.
All the teeth are in a similar condition.
There was no noticeable problem with the rack and pinion before I stripped the machine.
It is only to lift and lower the table.
I was thinking that maybe I should just use the gear as is.
Any ideas?

Thank You

Chris

Attachments

• 20210103_194510.jpg
    20210103_194510.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 20210103_174726.jpg
    20210103_174726.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210103_194523 (4).jpg
    20210103_194523 (4).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
That looks like a pinion which is worn from being driven
by an ill fitting worm.

You might try turning it over and wearing on the other side
of the teeth for a while.

I needed couple of change gears for my lathe. The gears had hardened teeth but were soft elsewhere. It was no problem boring them to the size I needed.

Sorry for the late reply.
Here are some photos.
All the teeth are in a similar condition.
There was no noticeable problem with the rack and pinion before I stripped the machine.
It is only to lift and lower the table.
I was thinking that maybe I should just use the gear as is.
Any ideas?

Thank You

Chris

I'd run it as is, grease it up good and it will last longer than you. My strands D P is great, I bet it is stiff as some knee mills.

Back