What's new
What's new

Need recommendations for a really impressive switch

John in MA

Titanium
This probably sounds a little bizarre, but I need an impressive switch. Something that not only looks important but has an action that is loud, snappy, or otherwise mechanically satisfying. Electrical specs are unimportant. I was thinking along the lines of some sort of extremely large toggle switch that goes "clunk," but some kind of oversized rotary switch or a start/stop button with a serious kill mushroom might do. Bonus points for very unique appearance.

Any suggestions? Surplus or used is fine, cheaper is better. I know how weird and vague this is. Open to any ideas. I need a switch that you pick up and fiddle with and think "Golly, now this is a switch."

You'll be helping pick out a remarkably unlikely Christmas present for a young woman.

If you want a REALLY impressive switch, do what my former son-in-law did: Become a former daughter-in-law. ;)

Truth. I couldn't make that one up, even in my worst nightmare.

If it's largely "decorative" and the function can be concealed/buried, then you might look at 3 ph disconnect or transfer type switches, either without the cover, or with a plexi cover. You'd have to modify it to make it work without the cover, but that's usually a basic mechanical interlock.

Plexi cover would work for 12v/low current operation. For open, "lookin' dangerous" operation, you'd have to make the real current-carrying switch totally enclosed, (buried in a wood base, perhaps) and use the decoy as an actuator. Perhaps add a paddle and linkage to a standard toggle switch, or use a low-voltage relay to switch the actual load.

(Or if the decoy is loud enough, a Clapper could do the actual switching...)

Chip
(Keep in mind that switch is now "your baby" and you need to keep track of it, and either put it all back together or totally destroy it when you're done.)

How about something like these ones found at Mcmaster-Carr:

McMaster-Carr

Not bad. Do those things have a good mechanical feel?

Too prosaic.

Disconnects make a nice clang when you switch them. The higher the current rating, the more noise they make.

ITE Nema 12 400 Amp Safety Switch Disconnect 3 Phase - eBay (item 370388151984 end time Nov-24-10 09:11:59 PST)

Not going for a breaker panel look.

Already have a couple. Kinda dinky.

Cole Hersee battery disconnect. Fills your hand, takes a significant effort to switch on against spring pressure, (about 30° rotary motion) switches off with a slam. Available from Caterpillar with a big L shaped key for a handle. Would be easy to make a nice looking enclosure for. SPST only

75903.jpg

I was thinking the same as Mud. The switch on the electric chair would be the most noticeable.

Big old knife switch.:D

JAckal:cheers:

Mcmaster-Carr will take a return with no questions. I believe those will make a noticable click. You might also look on the next page at transfer/disconnect switches -- those I know are loud!

Back