What's new
What's new

Need referrals for a job shop to turn EDM graphite

bloomerang

Plastic
I'm looking for the individual or job shop who'll turn one small graphite part. Machine shops in my area aren’t equipped with adequate vacuum systems to mitigate the dust. Manual or CNC, it doesn't matter; tolerances and finish are not critical (within reason). And I don’t need it done yesterday.

What’s needed is a 4-TPI ACME external thread on EDM graphite. I have an EDM graphite cylinder 3" OD and 12" long, from which the finished part should be ±4" long and turned on a 2" diameter. I haven’t measured the depth of cut yet, but it’s shallow. I can either cut and ship the desired length (±4") or ship the full monty (12"). If chucking a 3” diameter cylinder is an issue, I have a work-around using two old diesel valves and graphite-specific (golf club) epoxy.

I’ve scoured this site for recommendations, but without much joy. In the almost 80 threads in the EDM Machining forum, most hits were long in the tooth (10+ years old). I did come across two referrals for small(?) businesses that specialize in graphite machining. My preference would be one who’ll happily do job lots; location in the upper midwest would be a bonus.

Can anyone make a recommendation, or put up your hand to volunteer? I’m not expecting a freebee, just at a cost affordable to someone on a fixed income.

It would be nice to spec the finished thread O.D. or at least the amount of orbit you are planning for.

Your job shop will likely have to buy an insert, and maybe a tool holder for said insert, so expect that to be in the price.

I'd be hitting up Zahnrad Knopf or Implemex on this forum. I know they're both wire pros... Not sure how much sinker stuff they do, but they could at least point you in the right direction.

Back