What's new
What's new

Need Schaublin Parting Blade

Lev

Plastic
I have a Schaublin 102N lathe and I need some 1 x 10 x 100mm parting blades. The 100mm length dimension is not critical. Can anyone tell me where I can get some of these? I tried contacting Schaublin but have not heard back from them. Everything I see online is non-metric.

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I don't think there is any room for negotiating on the height and width, but I was wondering about grinding. Any concern about changing the hardness of the blade with grinding? I'm a dumb engineer, not a machinist.

There are many setups for parting blades depending on what type of tool post that you have on your lathe. What tool post are you using?

For instance, I bought a Multifix size A tool post set (that would also fit the Schaublin 102) back in the 1980's. I soon found out that the cutoff holder took an odd metric blade (might have been 10 mm) that I could not find in my tool catalogs except in the SPI catalog at a very high price. I milled the clamping bar with an angled cut and added a shim under the clamp so that it now uses common (cheap) 1/2" beveled blades.

If you want to pay $91.35 for a blade, here is a current source of the blade that fits the unaltered size A holder. They call it 3/8", but maybe they did a rough conversion from 10 mm. The blade for the Aa holder is thinner and shorter, but still listed as 3/8" high and costs $93.40.

SPI Swiss Multiquick: 40 Position Quick Change Tool Holder for all Lathes - Penn Tool Co., Inc
SPI Swiss Multiquick HSS Blade, 7/64" x 3/8" - 71-345-3 - Penn Tool Co., Inc

Larry

DSC00221.jpg

It says "Original Multifix Suisse -A- MIVESA made in Switzerland GENEVE

I found and ordered a mini parting tool holder with a 10mm shank. It comes with a 1.5 mm wide blade. My machine is at a makerspace and the guy who runs the place thinks that this holder will fit into the Schaublin turning tool holder. So I think I might have a solution to my problem. Thanks to all for your advice and I'll be back if this plan doesn't work out.

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I don't think there is any room for negotiating on the height and width, but I was wondering about grinding. Any concern about changing the hardness of the blade with grinding? I'm a dumb engineer, not a machinist.

If you're careful and don't get it hot and draw the temper you will be OK.

I found and ordered a mini parting tool holder with a 10mm shank. It comes with a 1.5 mm wide blade. My machine is at a makerspace and the guy who runs the place thinks that this holder will fit into the Schaublin turning tool holder. So I think I might have a solution to my problem. Thanks to all for your advice and I'll be back if this plan doesn't work out.

You really should have posted the fact that lathe is not yours, right from the start.

Having said that, adding a blade holder block onto a quick change block might
not work out very good. With such a small lathe, cutting off operations need all
the rigidity you can get, and this block on top of a block might prove too flexible.

The machine is mine. It is located at a makerspace. Sorry for any confusion.

Not to derail/detract the post, but I really enjoy my Aloris MXA tool setup on my Schaublin 102. Used the parting holder although I don't remember the thickness of the blade I used.

Thanks for the comment. Do you know the model number of the Aloris you are using?

Back