What's new
What's new

Need Some Help!! Vertical CNC

cueman69

Plastic
HI, I need to drill holes in Carbon Fiber Tubes. Average length 8' and 1' OD. I need to drill holes all the way around it. Wed have a print. I have been told I need a VNC with a 4th axis to rotate the part. I need a single Phase 220 or 110 machine. No 3 phase available. I've been told Fadal makes one. Tormach I was told may be my best option. Any help would be much appreciated to steer me in the right direction. Need to buy one! Thanks Aaron 414-690-1182

There's different options for the 4th axis. If you buy one that is fully integrated with the control then you can do coordinated rotation with the other axes. For simple drilling all you need is the ability to send a digital output to the rotary control and be able to take in a digital input from the rotary control.

then again you can do it with a manual bp with an indexer.
drilling holes would be an indexed op.

now we won't get into cad/cam requirements

or you could just pay some one who has the equipment and knows how to do it

Fadal only makes up to an 80" bed. Not an eight foot with room for a rotary that supports a 1 foot OD. Could hang it off the bed and use a very big ID chuck.

Assuming you mean 8 inches not feet, then any entry level VMC will do. I'd take a Fadal or any number of 20 year old beater machines over even 3 Tormachs. If you're doing any serious manufacturing. The Tormachs are essentially just NC fitted bench mills. Even a bench mill I might take over a Tormach, since you got more axes of freedom.
Assuming it's just a bunch of holes as well, then hand programming should be fine. No CAM needed. Fadal also has a basic conversational input for the canned cycles.

You can pick up a rotary phase converter that size for over a grand. If the machine doesn't support single phase wiring option.

Go to tormach and show them the part/have them do the part on their machine so you can see the speed. They are close to where you are angways.

Go to tormach and show them the part/have them do the part on their machine so you can see the speed. They are close to where you are angways.

Well they are very close to us I agree. It is a 8" average carbon fiber 1" od tube. .750 ID so not super thick. Approx 36 holes 3/16" in diameter. If anyone has advice on what to use to drill it clean that would be helpful. Carbide tip bit is what we were told. Need to be able to do at least 50 parts a day. Can't afford break down either. I will buy 2 in the future for a back up and new design development. I can't thank you all enough. If any of you know of one available VMC that is that's affordable and has what I need please let me know. I prefer used and turn key. Idk sh$& about these things!

laser with rotary indexer. good for lots of holes by people who don't know shit about machining. runs on little power. turnkey operations. included air filtration for the health hazards / mess of drilling lots of carbon fiber.

For carbon fiber, you will want coated carbide as a minimum, probably diamond coated. You may be able to create a helical toolpath to cut the hole thru with a smaller endmill, then interpolate to finish/cleanup the diameter to size.
CF that I've machined beat the crap outta the tools..
Good luck! JinNJ

lathe with live tooling and a bar feed, but given you know nothing about how to do it
cheaper to sub it out, learning curve is expensive.
they would show up in a box at some agreed upon interval.

Looked up some machine tool dealers in the state and I see some Brother brand Robodrill-style machines. Don't know if they can be fitted with 4th axis or not.
You'd probably have to pay some one to program it, set it up and then teach you how to maintain the setup and how to set it up from start to finish.

LMT Onsrud makes a line of tooling for drilling and milling various composites. No personal experience with those specific tools, but I have been very satisfied with their woodworking tooling. Also it is straightforward to buy direct from them online.

Link to Catalog

Back