need some objective eyes on my new website - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it's better than a really good start. If I was shopping for those services in your area, you'd get a call.

I didn't watch the video soo. . . no comment.

Your pictures were appropriate and show (to me) that the photographer is an artist. Keep that camera handy. Use it often. Update the website regularly. Show pics with "BEFORE" ans "AFTER" for bike mods.

Best of luck to you.

2. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FINALLY got that damn header cleaned up, turned the 'anti alias' feature off and viola, looks clean and much more legible now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vanguard,

I am a professional Web Developer and although I haven't done website design for a while, I have a couple of comments on your site. First, I love the color scheme. It seems appropriate for the context, easy on the eyes, and not too gaudy. Second, the photos of your work are nicely done and interesting. Also the navigation is simple and intuitive.

Now let me convey a few suggestions: First get some copyright text down on the pages or a page that describes terms of use. It won't prevent piracy of your content, but will help with recompense if applicable. Second thing is the layout of the main page and subsequent pages is important. The rule of thumb is the upper left area is the most valuable and goes down from left to right. In other words, try to get the most important stuff in the upper area that avoids scrolling down the page for it. I would try to move the logo and navigation into 20% of the viewing area so the main content is closer to the top.

Just my 2 cents. I think you did great on your first site. Good luck in the future with your business.

Best Regards,
    Bob

5. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the great suggestions Bob,
    makes complete sense, i moved things up a little, will try to get them even higher just need to change a few things around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The site functions, and looks to be well laid out. I cannot find anything to critique it for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
    thanks guys, i really didn't think it would go over so well
    as for the font on the header, i changed that design literally 16 times in illustrator before i decided on that one, while i agree it is a little too busy it's the font i used in my logo so i was trying to keep things as seamless as possible. the only thing i can do semi decently on the computer is illustrator and vector drawing so i will most likely keep tweaking it until something hits me just right.

John, yes i do care very much for them..MC fab is my passion in life, the rest of the metalworking just pays the bills.

Alonzo, that was a good video, thanks for sharing. the next try will hopefully be much better..i need to get some of my film industry friends to come help
    if you haven't seen this one you should definitely take a few minutes to watch it, his shop, the music, the filters on the camera, his work..it's all so awesome and was an inspiration for me making that little video.
    That was a very awesome video. Did Sean walling do his own video or did he hire a professional to do the work? The Big Poppi video was done by a small media company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think i remember reading somewhere about how it was a full on shoot lasting a few if not several days, it was a small outfit though.
    you would be surprised at what you can do with a few go pro cameras and a good editing program

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

looks like you have about 50 good photos now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Overall it looks good and I like it.

Your choices of colors do work together and the orange text works well. That color kind of suggests welding, to me at least.

But I would suggest changing the smaller text from the blue-gray to something that has more contrast with the background. Not necessarily pure white, but perhaps a lighter color. More contrast. If you make them work too hard to read it, they won't.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have to say the video showing:

Aw fiddlesticks!
    This video can’t be played with your current setup.
    Is MUCH nicer than most dead-vids.

Oh .. there are ways to provide:

A) More universally playable vids

B) Auto-detection of browser capability and redirect to more than one format.

C) Manual choices of format.

Personally - I like thumbnails and a clickable gallery of static art even better.

Vids get old Real Soon Now if/as/when a seeker is back for the 2d or subsequent time.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'll give it a thumbs up.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've shopped for machine shops via websites in the past. In saying this, I know that the customer has very little time to look at each website. IMHO: It's a very professional looking website. However, the video needs to be dropped and the smaller equipment items, that most shops & hobbiests have, need to be deleted. I believe that if you keep it simple, more customers will follow through and personally contact you to see what solutions you can offer them.

Good luck.

15. Likes thermite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EPAIII View Post
    Overall it looks good and I like it.

Your choices of colors do work together and the orange text works well. That color kind of suggests welding, to me at least.

But I would suggest changing the smaller text from the blue-gray to something that has more contrast with the background. Not necessarily pure white, but perhaps a lighter color. More contrast. If you make them work too hard to read it, they won't.
    Yeah, the background if fairly dark and I would do the text a touch lighter. Especially the orange menus at the top, which somehow look dirty in comparison with the lighter orange shade in your logo at the top.

Otherwise excellent, good job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think you need two websites.

One for motorcycle stuff and the other for general fabrication and machining. If I was looking for someone to do railings for a building, custom architectural features or make some parts for me, one of the last places I would look would be a custom motorcycle shop. On the other hand, if I had an interest in motorcycles, I'd be more intrigued by a website that focused on motorcycles and motorcycle parts rather than a site that has a few motorcycle things, stair railings, simple turned parts and a bunch of other stuff.

18. Likes jamscal, thermite, fpworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I couldn't agree more with Welden more. For a guy that didn't know what he was doing the site is good. The pan head is sweet. Your username here is Vanguard cycles and that looks to be your strong suit just wondering why it's not on your logo? To me Vanguard machine & tool infers that you are a job shop not a motorcycle or custom fab shop. You do nice work I would promote my strong suit in the logo.

Brent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks guys, darkened up the logo just a little and lightened the menu text to match, or at least very close.
    Bill, i'm afraid that stuff is way over my head man, waiting to hear back from my web developer buddy who is going to help me out, hopefully today, with some of the crucial stuff that i don't get so i will ask him about the vid stuff.
    as for the comments about 2 websites, i can barley manage getting one built, not trying to do this again...at least not right now. my eyes are about to pop out of my head.
    I think it describes what i do here pretty well and if someone doesn't want me to build a custom bike part for them because i do general fab work as well then so be it, as they are probably too high of a maintenance customer for my liking anyway.

the name change happened last year, the catalyst for it was getting out of the niche that i was stuck in and getting more work through the doors, there isn't a huge bike scene down here. that and i just like the name better, in some nostalgic sense it just sounded better to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree with AndyF, but I'll elaborate. If you're trying to sell products, then focus on products, and not so much the process. (and show variants, applications/fitment, etc. ...and throw out some starter pricing and lead times) Of course, you think about the processes (because it's what you do) ...but you need to think about the customer, which is the physical object that they're willing to pay for.

For starters, on the homepage, you should have a pic of a product you want to sell...or something that your customer desires, absolutely not you welding. (save that one for your other website, or a "how it's made section")

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sounds like a bunch of you guys are in agreement about the two websites thing.
    damn
    i really am not feeling the idea of building, paying for and maintaining two websites along with my social media stuff.
    i would never have time to actually get work done!

let me think on this for a minute, maybe i'll see the light and build another or come up with a work-around
    like another page just for bike stuff maybe?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mate I would change the videos audio track to simply music.
    There is plenty of royalty free music out there. I would Chang a lot of the actual videos to stills.
    Only comment would be change the video audio.

I think it ha swearing in it.
    And 2: it's annoying.

Good website otherwise.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
    sounds like a bunch of you guys are in agreement about the two websites thing.
    damn
    i really am not feeling the idea of building, paying for and maintaining two websites along with my social media stuff.
    i would never have time to actually get work done!

let me think on this for a minute, maybe i'll see the light and build another or come up with a work-around
    like another page just for bike stuff maybe?
    No need for "two websites".

Just re-arrange the special interest stuff into two (or wotever..) sections and change the lead-in page that is fronting them.

Make it easier for folks to follow their interests with minimal distraction to each group.

Very little NEW code required.

Bill

25. Likes vanguard machine liked this post