need some objective eyes on my new website - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Video looks professional but IMHO up to about 3 minutes is at least twice as long as it should be..after that about right. In other words each scene up to the 3 minute mark should be edited in half...maybe in third...esp the opening TIG scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah i agree the video could use some work but as stated i don't have any way to change it now, it was filmed by a friend with his cameras and lights and edited using another friends computer and editing software. best i can do for now is get rid of it completely.
    i do plan on making another one soon but shorter and much more to the point.
    i have all of the footage still so just need to dl a good editing program

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Just re-arrange the special interest stuff into two (or wotever..) sections and change the lead-in page that is fronting them.
    kind of what i was thinking, maybe just a page for MC stuff, bikes, parts, etc.
    that would be easy enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Full powder-coating and plating services are available as well as polishing, line finishing and deep etching."

What is "line finishing"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use a browser with all javascript turned off. Many security conscious people set their browser that way to avoid viruses and such.

When I look at your site all I see is dozens of pictures of motorcycles. To get the full site I had to allow javascript from 3 different sites that I don't know or trust.

If I were looking for a machine shop I'd pass it by.

The suggestion is to have your web developer set a page that renders well without javascript as the default, and then add the JS content if the browser allows it. I did not really see anything that requires JS that was really necessary, but that's my personal opinion and many would disagree.

Dan

6. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I find is the worst with publicity are errors, mistakes, misspellings, typos.

You have “elctro” somewhere. There must be no errors. The rest is less important. Like Marshall McLuhan said, the medium is the message, so while presenting yourselves in written, the writing is the thing. Perhaps less could be more also.

I like the colours, though. The address, where is your exact address? Get rid of the silly menu buttons and display all the important information unified in one spot. Multi-million enterprises may have (silly) complex sites but VANGUARD CYCLE has personality. Have a look at newspaper heads.

And show a bike!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Overall I like it.

One thing that puzzles me, under the fabrication category, the shot of the bike with the two flags waving on the back? Why is that photo there? It has little to do with fabrication. What point are you trying to make with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doug,
    i just thought it was a cool shot, and yes, it has everything to do with fabrication. those flag poles and the brackets that carry them were fabricated by me.
    they are for a good group of local Marines, for when they do parades, that was a test run around the shop to see how bad they vibrated and shook around..pleased to report they have been holding up great through 4 or 5 parades now.

10. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

thanks for the heads up Mechanola, spelling mistake corrected.
    crazy how many hits that page has and you were the only one to notice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vanguard cycle View Post
    Doug,
    i just thought it was a cool shot, and yes, it has everything to do with fabrication. those flag poles and the brackets that carry them were fabricated by me.
    they are for a good group of local Marines, for when they do parades, that was a test run around the shop to see how bad they vibrated and shook around..pleased to report they have been holding up great through 4 or 5 parades now.
    You asked for opinions and with a quick glance through your site my opinion/impression was the flag shot is a political statement.

Now I understand your point about the fabrication although any details of the fabrication are not apparent.

13. Likes vanguard machine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah the details aren't apparent but out of all the shots that was the only one that only one that showed perspective of both flags mounted.
    perfectly fine if that's how you see it, i wasn't complaining or attempting to start an argument but i have to ask how you could possibly see it as a political statement.
    it's just two American flags and a guy with a birdball on his jacket.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saw nothing wrong with flags.. Some one might imagine flag mounts... but you photos go helter-skelter. Might be good to go progression leading to a finished product when possible. Perhaps a close shot of a detail then back a away shot to see same on bike. A tube being sanded then the part made of the tube... and then on the bike

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice looking railing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

nice site, are you gonna start selling stuff from it?
    that is the way to make a site really pay for itself.

Country
    CHRISTMAS ISLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Site looks clean.

I would drop the "Shop is open by appointment" and put your address on the contact page. I'm leery of businesses with no physical address given.
    It's not like you're going to be inundated with people stopping by without calling first. Besides "Shop is open by appointment" sounds standoffish.

Try a different font on the general verbiage, the one you're using looks sterile.

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dbsuthe View Post
    I use a browser with all javascript turned off. Many security conscious people set their browser that way to avoid viruses and such.
    Me too. I did not see any videos because I turn off javascript as well.

The comment about the CNCs was a bit odd though. Does advertizing you do things the "old fashioned way" attract more customers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ok i will change the font and add the addressee to the main page, also will take the 'by appointment only' bit off, just don't like surprise visits as it's a one or two man show here with no kind of secretary so visitors can really really jam up my day quickly. great suggestions guys.
    as for the comment about CNC, it's not about attracting more customers as much as giving our story here, i do have a bad habit of cutting off my nose to spite my face but i just refuse to do things strictly as a capitalist
    still haven't heard back from my web designer friend about all the javascript issues but he will call eventually

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter View Post
    nice site, are you gonna start selling stuff from it?
    that is the way to make a site really pay for itself.
    The most obvious one.

Here's another. Did a ZOPE-PLONE ++ CMS site for meah .. about thirty-five thousand by the time post-delivery extras (CD's for trade shows..) were factored in.

Customer said they saved 35 thou in the first 12 months.

Moved from 'dead-tree' product documents, staff, and shipping costs to 100 countries over to customer-pull .pdf downloads. In four or more languages. "Instant gratification" 24x7x365, plus customer pays for their own time, bandwidth, paper and 'ink' if need be..

Eighty to ninety percent of my original code, and a surprising amount even of the content is still soldiering on in its tenth year of operation with but minor touch-ups by its new minders. Training had been included. I didn't want a marriage - just a project fee.

To be sure, a smallholder's needs are not the same as those of a multinational.

Does help either one to have a clear idea what you want a site to DO for you either way, though.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I took a quick look and liked it a lot, Nice work. I particularly like the line "talented hard working hands" You have found a nice niche stick with it. I liked the flags and understood what you were showing right away. IMO anyone who has a problem with the flags can take a ride on one of those poles.

Nice job, be proud of your shop and keep busting your ass that's how we do it.

Make Chips

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always think religious and political affiliations should not be advertised by businesses that have nothing to do with either. I would remove the Jesus picture from the video. I buy metal from a place that has campaign posters all over the place at election time, even though I agree with their political views, 1/2 the population doesn't and could be offended. I think showing such affiliation will always do more harm than good.