What's new
What's new

Need Source For 17-4 Annealed Round Stock Ground to .112"

charlie gary

Stainless
I need to find some 17-4 round stock, annealed, that is .112" diameter plus nothing, minus .005". I need a piece 96 inches long if it's one continuous piece of material, but if it can only be had in shorter lengths I need enough to make 25 parts 3.5" long. Who can steer me to a vendor that can provide such a thing?

Thanks for reading.

I need to find some 17-4 round stock, annealed, that is .112" diameter plus nothing, minus .005". I need a piece 96 inches long if it's one continuous piece of material, but if it can only be had in shorter lengths I need enough to make 25 parts 3.5" long. Who can steer me to a vendor that can provide such a thing?
Thanks for reading.

Charlie, we do this a bit and when we do we usually order standard nominal sizes and then cylindrical grind it. You should be able to get .125" or 3mm stock and grind from there. Not really a big deal. Made a bunch of prototype proprietary bone screw taps that way.

The 17-4 is the easy part. There should be lots of centerless grinders in the Seattle area. Find one that will do the job and have the stainless sent to them. Just a couple of passes through the machine and they should be able to hold the tolerance with no problem.
JR

You guys are telling me what I figured would be the answer, but every time I don't ask I find out I could have just bought it that way. Thanks for the affirmations. I'll start looking for a grind shop.

That's it.....

You win an all expense paid trip to work or, the deluxe tour of my shop if you're in M'town. Prizes not redeemable for cash. No changes will be made in the prize at the request of the winner. Members of competing websites are not eligible to compete. Winners must be over 18 years of age and be a US citizen. A list of the complete rules probably cannot be found.
JR

That's it.....

You win an all expense paid trip to work or, the deluxe tour of my shop if you're in M'town. Prizes not redeemable for cash. No changes will be made in the prize at the request of the winner. Members of competing websites are not eligible to compete. Winners must be over 18 years of age and be a US citizen. A list of the complete rules probably cannot be found.
JR

If for some strange reason I ever find myself in Iowa, I'll inquire about the deluxe tour. Until then I'll keep on with paying my expenses for the daily trip to work. ;-)

Brain @ Versamill said that he'd never come back here. I have not seen his picture in the post office, but I have heard that Iowa DOT has been looking for him. :D
JR

Back