Need source for apron parts for Summit 19-4 lathe
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need source for apron parts for Summit 19-4 lathe

My friend recently acquired a Summit 19-4 lathe. It has been setting for several years before he got it. Checking the apron oil level it was empty. Filled it up now it is leaking out of the apron oil pump on the bottom of the apron.
    Further investigation appears the cast iron oil pump is broken and the nut on the bottom is long gone.
    Any idea where to get parts for this, he called Summit and they said no longer available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remove the pump body and make a stub shaft to renew the snapped off section.
    Check the plunger-70127. It should not bind in the bore.
    John

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    My friend recently acquired a Summit 19-4 lathe. It has been setting for several years before he got it. Checking the apron oil level it was empty. Filled it up now it is leaking out of the apron oil pump on the bottom of the apron.
    Further investigation appears the cast iron oil pump is broken and the nut on the bottom is long gone.
    Any idea where to get parts for this, he called Summit and they said no longer available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    What jhruska said as to doing it proper.

If you want to try not having to drop the apron to get into it, a possible monkey-patch might be to come up from the bottom, drill and tap a hole in the bustid stub, thread in a fastener, use it to draw a washer, bushing, and 'O' ring or gasket up to seal it.. and also hold-down the post-mounted pump?

No idea if that leaves the pump inside properly positioned or in working order or not.

I've got a 2 mm head fwd and side-looking endoscope to scope-out such things, given even a tiny hole for the camera, but they are FAR from perfect at that sort of tasking even if one has the goods.

Could be worth a try before dropping the apron?