What's new
What's new

need source for "key washers"

shapeaholic

Stainless
I am looking for asmall quantity of "key washers".
These are flat washers with a key that engages in keyway on a shaft so that the washer will not rotate on the shaft.
I looked in the usual catalogs and have come up blank.
What are they called??
Can anyone suggest a source?

thanks
Pete

Also try searching on Internal Tab Washers and Single Internal Tab Washers. (These appear to be the official names linking to DIN and ISo specifications.)

Clive

I needed a few of these a while back and had no luck with typical suppliers of washers. They use them on bicycles, so if the size you need is "bicycle size" try your local bike shop.

CH

Also used on auto and trailer spindles, my local trailer parts supplier has a labled board with various sizes on it, maybe 5/8 to 1-1/4? Recently picked up a couple @ 7/8".

My local auto parts stores didn't have them.

Bob

Seems I've been looking for the wrong thing.
I need single internal tab washers ( thanks Clive 603)

A local guy here who reads the board sent me a note saying that he got just what need from a local supplier, but they called them "keyed shims"

I'll also try the local trailer guys.

I need a dozen .625" id, .030" thick, od doesn't matter much.

thanks
Pete

Pete,
A substitute may be AFBMA standard lock washers (the designation in an old New Departure ball bearing handbook). Not exact size (a little big) but should be available at large bearing supplier (expensive). If these are for your Hendey T&G lathe, you will need at least three sizes: W-00, W-03 and W-05 which correspond to shaft diameters of 10, 17 and 25 mm. The New Departure handbook has dimensioned drawings for both the washers and corresponding nuts.

Last edited:
And ONE more way to get them is simply have them laser cut. These days with the CNC lasers, their parts are relatively cheap if buying more than just one. the laser can cut a washer in seconds out of just about any material.

Back