What's new
What's new

Need Source for small qty Rubber Bushings

GisMo

Hot Rolled
I've got an old Logan 820 that needs new some new rubber bushings on the motor assembly mount to the headstock. Anyways, Its a 3/8" id and 1" od with a little 1/4 thick shoulder(1.25 od). McMaster and Grainger dont have rubber bushs with those specs. I found them on the logan activator(lathe.com) for $12 each. I'd rather not, but if I have to... Any alternative machinable materials? Thanks

GisMo,

We often have to make odd size rubber turnings and manage by feezing the bar stock in liqid nitrogen before chucking it up. Frozen rubber turns beautfully and the material will stay hard enough to machine for quite a long time.

Charles.

McMaster-Carr has a fine selection of round rubber stock in various sizes and durometers. I've had good luck turning or grinding it to shape. I skewer the piece on an arbor and turn it with a very sharp bit with a LOT of rake using armor-all for a lubricant, or with a toolpost grinder or angle grinder or Dremel in an adaptor in the toolpost. Ususlly rubber bushings are a squeeze fit and the dimensional tolerance is free enough for these crude means.

Back