Need source for superalloys, inco625, zirconium, etc.
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Need source for superalloys, inco625, zirconium, etc.

Can anyone suggest suppliers...especially suppliers that have small drops on hand.

Specifically I need materials to make a 6 foot long stir bar, so something around 1" diameter...in case someone has drops they want to get rid of. Alloy would be zirconium or inc625. Probably others will work.

Anybody regularly weld and form these materials?

Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want also 6 feet inconel drops 🤣

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I want also 6 feet inconel drops ��
    Exactly! no price for inco etc etc, but 1'' dia Ti is from $5 / inch and I can't see Inco etc being any cheaper

Bar - Titanium Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've bought small quantities of exotics from hpalloy at "reasonable" prices. Check them out, as well as Rolled Alloys, Inc. - Global Leader in Specialty Metals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Exactly! no price for inco etc etc, but 1'' dia Ti is from $5 / inch and I can't see Inco etc being any cheaper

Bar - Titanium Joe
    lol...no, i don't see any of these alloys being especially cheap. I love buying scrap when i can, but when it's not available, I don't know where to get the new stuff!

Thanks for that link.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Can anyone suggest suppliers...especially suppliers that have small drops on hand.

Specifically I need materials to make a 6 foot long stir bar, so something around 1" diameter...in case someone has drops they want to get rid of. Alloy would be zirconium or inc625. Probably others will work.

Building a
    DIY backyard reactor there sonny ?

7. Likes SAG 180 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Building a
    DIY backyard reactor there sonny ?
    lol...if you only knew

very legitimate commercial enterprise actually...just without the EH&S regulations of a super sized corporation.

Not to say there isn't safety oversight...it's just these parts don't need that level of concern. They are GOING to fail, it's just a matter of time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

McMaster offers 1" dia x 36" long inco 625 for 365.71 ... just sayin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red James View Post
    McMaster offers 1" dia x 36" long inco 625 for 365.71 ... just sayin'
    Only $12i.90 / ft? WOW! - how many lengths we ordering

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

lol...if you only knew

very legitimate commercial enterprise actually...just without the EH&S regulations of a super sized corporation.

Not to say there isn't safety oversight...it's just these parts don't need that level of concern. They are GOING to fail, it's just a matter of time.
    The last book I read, showed zirconium deposited cladding with carbide and some other small additions...poke around the northern Allegheny county (pa.)
    for some suppliers.

Already stocked up on Beryllium ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lol...no, I avoid Be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a Sandvic titanium and zirconium extrusion facility in the Tricity WA area, people bring me titanium drops of various alloys for custom parts for their snow mobiles, race cars, and things. I don't know if they sell the zirconium, myself, I cant think of anything to use it for, chips can catch fire and burn your eyebrows off.
    Zirconium in long extruded tubes is used with aspirin sized pellets of uranium to form a reactor fuel rod, they say, one aspirin "pill" sized pellet has more energy then 50 gallons of oil, hundreds of pellets in each rod, hundreds of rods in the reactor.
    Another zirconium part is the machined ends that form a rod bundle, there is only enough rods in a bundle to ensure no critical mass, the bundles are shipped individually in a wooden crate, with no hazard handling them.
    One of the things about working with zirconium is you must not touch it after machining it, it oxidizes readily, that causes problems in the reactor, so they say.

The problem is used fuel rods, deadly to even be near!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Try Alro. I used to weld literally tons of inco 625, what do you want to know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    There is a Sandvic titanium and zirconium extrusion facility in the Tricity WA area, people bring me titanium drops of various alloys for custom parts for their snow mobiles, race cars, and things. I don't know if they sell the zirconium, myself, I cant think of anything to use it for, chips can catch fire and burn your eyebrows off.
    Zirconium in long extruded tubes is used with aspirin sized pellets of uranium to form a reactor fuel rod, they say, one aspirin "pill" sized pellet has more energy then 50 gallons of oil, hundreds of pellets in each rod, hundreds of rods in the reactor.
    Another zirconium part is the machined ends that form a rod bundle, there is only enough rods in a bundle to ensure no critical mass, the bundles are shipped individually in a wooden crate, with no hazard handling them.
    One of the things about working with zirconium is you must not touch it after machining it, it oxidizes readily, that causes problems in the reactor, so they say.

Critical mass is not an issue. The fuel is not enriched enough attain critical mass and unless you put it under water there is no moderator.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Try Alro. I used to weld literally tons of inco 625, what do you want to know?
    Alro can always get it, but they always charge for the service.

I try to avoid that company when I can.

I didn't realize McMaster sold it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Years ago when Indycars had V8s with one big turbo we used to run one made by Garrett. It had a Inconel 625 hot side and tubes to each header. I was chief mechanic on the test team, 1995,6,7. The car would come off the track late in the day, low light conditions and you would remove the engine cover and that exhaust was almost transparent from the heat. if you looked at the turbo hot side you could see the ceramic hot wheel spooling down right through the hot side snail. Amazing it would hold size and shape at those temperatures.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post

Been reading an autobiography from the prez of Westinghouse Nuclear, and it goes in good detail of the various fuel rods.

For the Nautilus, Shippingsport, various newer Nuke plants, as well as NERVA.
    "Seeds", "Poisons", and claddings involving various deposition methods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And if McMaster sells it in 3' lengths, they can likely source 6' lengths too from their supplier.