What's new
What's new

need suggestion on steel toe work boots for big/wide feet

ghost_rider

Aluminum
Does anyone out there have any suggestions for big/wide feet? I wear a 14 4E shoe and need to get steel toes for work.

I've used Red Wing steeltoes for decades, and have been quite pleased.

They last several years.

And the one time a steel tool shelving unit fell on my foot, they did their job.
No damage, injury, or discomfort.

I don't know if they have your size. Check their website: Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots

- Leigh

Redwings or Justin boots. I've had both and I got some Sasquatch in my lineage, apparently..

I wear 14 in some, 15 in others. Some steel toes wear a callus on top of the ball of my foot, thus the occasional 15. I'm wearing Redwings with the metatarsal guard now. I recently had an episode with a 187# fixture sliding off the table of a big VMC. Hit up on the top of my foot, higher than the steel toes alone covered. Took a three month vacation on that one. Two weeks in the hospital and two surgeries later, then a long stint in my recliner. But all is good now, though it looks kinda ugly.
The absolutely most comfortable work shoe I ever wore are pair of Justin lace up Ropers with the steel toe. Had them several years, still have them. Didn't happen to have them on that day, but it wouldn't have mattered. Miracle was that I didn't break any bones. Anti-fatigue mat and a plastic shipping crate I was standing on saved that.
So, see if Justin makes your width. They do make 14s, I have a pair. The call it a "7 layer comfort system". Best thing since sliced bread.

Yea, I switched to Justins and haven't looked back. I have a pair of lace up work boots without the steel toe, and waterproof, that I also wear hiking, they're that comfortable. I've had Doc Martens, Red Wings, and these Justins suit me the best. I can wiggle my toes around with extra space all the way to where the laces start. I've had boots that were too-tight where the metatarsal plate would be, but it was past the laces, so I can't loosen it. Justins have plenty of room where I need it, and tighten up where I don't. My tag has eroded away but I'm pretty sure mine are 15s. Can't recall the width other than the lady who measured me said "Wow"

Maybe she's just a believer in that old line about men with big feet. (fooled her!)

I wear Red Wings that I special ordered in EE. Took a couple of months but wow, it was worth the wait.

You might look into their custom fit program. From their website:

"Also available in a custom fit. Years of fitting stool experience have taught us that some customers' feet are not a perfect match. All too often a customer has to settle for less than a perfect fit. Red Wing's Custom Fit program offers a unique solution that allows you to order a pair of boots in two different sizes. Visit the nearest Red Wing Store to get your customized fit."

Chuck
Burbank, CA

I have large feet, but narrow. I wore the regular Redwings for years and when I laced them up, the sides of the boots would pull completely together. This time I ordered a narrow size and it's a huge difference.

Back when I worked at Skechers, we sold boots like that all the time. I had a ton of people looking for them. Check out their site. It may save you a few bucks if you haven't already made a purchase.

I'm currently wearing Carolina's(14EEE). Been two years and they're still comfortable. I like them more than I did my Red Wings.

My .02...
Go to a REAL shoe/ boot store, one where they fit you.
We have one about an hours drive from where I live. Family operation, been around for decades. They understand every foot and need is different.
Try to find a place that asks you what you need, not just try to push you into something.
I got Redwings a year ago on my quest to buy "made in USA" I'm really not pleased with how they fit my feet. I must be the only one. They are nice, but just not right for me.
Shop for fit, need, durability... Then pay. Don't shop based on price.

I second the go to a REAL shoe store.

A family run Redwing store took shoes out of a box and did magic on them. They lasted longer than any other Redwing I bought and were way more comfy.

Sears started handling Redwings... Not any where near the same shoe. Find a shoe salesperson that knows how to fit you. It is worth the extra money.

around me there is a old fashioned shoe store in a bad part of town that specializes in work boots. Has more steel toe in stock than anyplace I have ever seen and does repair on site as well. I have been buying timberland pro rigmaster boots.... they last me 12-15 months where I was going through 2 pair of redwings a year, and the redwings cost more.

but find THE workboot place in your area.... support them, and I don't think you'll regret it

I've had a few pairs of redwings, the newer stuff isn't what it used to be.

I only buy Thorogood boots now. Unlike redwings, they require almost no break-in. Leather is much, much softer. I got my last pair off amazon based on the shoe size that redwings told me I was. $150 for a pair, shipped and I've just worn through my first pair in two years.

Two very comfy, cushy years.

Back