What's new
What's new

need suggestions for new oil reservoir

jappietoutou

Aluminum
Hello

I'm doing a restoration on my Chevalier surface grinder, this automatic oiler is working good but the plastic tank is cracked.
Any suggestions on how to make a new one, plastic or other ? I emailed the company CHIBA , but have not received any news yet.

Machinerie (Copy).jpg

Jean-PIerre

Nice job. Do you weld the frame or buy it? Now put some plastic fish in it to confuse the visitors and show oil level.
I remember the mcDonalds in Livermore had a plexi tube from floor into the ceiling full of water and pink Barbie shoes being pumped up and then dropping down to have another go.
Bill D.

Attachments

• fish toys.jpg
    fish toys.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 22
You may have missed the memo, we live in a throw away society now, you cannot just go off half cocked, use your mind combined with local resources and repair such a thing, what were you thinking?

LOL!

You've done a fine job, I for one would like to see more of it.

I remember the aquariam in my jr. high science class. It had a bottom and two ends made of that black lab table top stuff. Front and rear was glass let into some grooves with sealer that looked like tar. It had some all thread drawbolts outside the glass at top and bottom to hold it all together. Made about 1952.
Bill D.

Looks great, but why did you go with the red RTV? I know it can stand higher heat, but years ago I did a test on different RTVs and red had very little adhesive value compared to other formulas. I use ultra grey for most everything now, it really sticks.
I am not saying it wont work just curious why you chose red.

I would guess he had most of a tube that he had already opened. use it up before it hardens. That is often how I choose which caulk to use.
Bill D

Looks great, but why did you go with the red RTV? I know it can stand higher heat, but years ago I did a test on different RTVs and red had very little adhesive value compared to other formulas. I use ultra grey for most everything now, it really sticks.
I am not saying it wont work just curious why you chose red.

We use Dow Silastic at work, I know it can withstand oil pretty good.....but you are right, there are better adhesives out there, when this one will leak, i'll go for a better glue. would that be permatex ultra grey ?

JP

You may have missed the memo, we live in a throw away society now, you cannot just go off half cocked, use your mind combined with local resources and repair such a thing, what were you thinking?

LOL!

You've done a fine job, I for one would like to see more of it.

I'm taking videos as much as possible, but it is so hard to be a Youtuber.....and all my videos are in french ( Quebec ) and youtube translate has difficulty with that accent !....

I'm a fixer but at the price some things are my time isn't worth it.1.8L 110V Digital Automatic Electric Lubrication Pump Oil Pump Oiler NC Pump USA | eBay
If you were closer you could have the all metal Bejur I pulled off my grinder. The bushings in the clock motor are worn out and the pinnion gear gets cocked and stops.I was going to fix it at zero cost execpt for time, just don't have any extra. Actually the motors show up on E-Bay.
I had some new 110v units in stock(like yours) so just used one of them.

How are you supposed to know the pump has failed? Just notice the ways look dry? Might add a dripper into the tank so you can see it dripping back into the tank as it runs.
Bill D

I'm a fixer but at the price some things are my time isn't worth it.1.8L 110V Digital Automatic Electric Lubrication Pump Oil Pump Oiler NC Pump USA | eBay
If you were closer you could have the all metal Bejur I pulled off my grinder. The bushings in the clock motor are worn out and the pinnion gear gets cocked and stops.I was going to fix it at zero cost execpt for time, just don't have any extra. Actually the motors show up on E-Bay.
I had some new 110v units in stock(like yours) so just used one of them.

wheeew 37$ !!

I'd look on Ebay or someplace else for a good used, or NOS, reservoir. Or I'd buy a new oiler altogether. I'd pay for it by laying off Starbucks, cigarettes, or flavored condoms for a week.

Why? Because every single time I walked by that ho-made reservoir, I'd try very hard to ignore the way it looks and the half-ass method I'd used to attach it. No matter how hard I'd try....I'd fail.

Back