What's new
What's new

Need a supplier for 1.5 x 3.25 x127" 6061 t6

cmccull166

Hot Rolled
Im lost... I dont know how flat bar stock will be and cant get an answer.

So Im thinking find a supplier that can saw from from say a 4 inch plate and then saw the 3.25 from that
I would have 2 perpendicular relatively flat surfaces and I can take that to size .

Using Three 8 inch vises on a 44. inch travel on X axis....so I will have to slide this 3 times...

Anybody have any ideas????

Thanks

It depends on how flat and straight etc etc you want a 127'' long piece, ….but I'd sure leave PLENTY all round for machining.

Per ANSI H35.2, extruded flat bar

Thickness and width
1.5" +/- .014"
3.25" +/- .024"

Straightness
.0125" maximum deviation from straight

Twist
1/4 degree per ft, 3 degrees for total length

Flatness
.004" per inch of width

If I had Coast saw that from plate they could probably hold a better tolerance than you milling it in your mill.

I have them make a lot of stuff they say is -0 +1/16 and they can easily hold a couple thou of size over hundreds of parts.

If I had Coast saw that from plate they could probably hold a better tolerance than you milling it in your mill.

I have them make a lot of stuff they say is -0 +1/16 and they can easily hold a couple thou of size over hundreds of parts.

Yup, should be able to find a Al vendor who caries 1.5" x X width x 144" plate, have them cut it to 3.5" wide. Don't try using 4" thick cut down to 3.25", the stress coming out of the rolled thickness at the 127" length would leave you with a ring when released from the vises.

Try Yarde Metals, I work on plate saws for companies and I think they would be able to do it for you. The tables can hold thousands, but it depends on the speed of the operators and how good the adjustment is on the arbor to hold a perfect 90*.

They are right, getting 4" plate will be way worse then cutting 1 1/2" plate.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replys.

I had gotten a recommendation from a customer use The Pennsylvania steel co.
So a big shout out...After I explained my plan to Stacy the material come in amazingly flat with a flat and square saw cut.This made the job much easier.
Sliding 3 times to machine each surface had very little mismatch.

Also material was delivered no charge at a great price...I will definitely use this company again....And I will highly recommend to all my local shops...
Unlike the dirtbags I wrote about in this thread....

"My local alum supplier just billed me 35.00 lb for 6061 t6"

Maybe 5 years ago... Not with the people they have working now :O

Back