What's new
What's new

Need to upgrade capacities, which type of machines would you buy?

sundewzer

Plastic
I want to start by saying we only do custom parts with small build quantities; generally 2 to 10 parts. I am more interested in capability that I am speed. We out source many components that are beyond our capacities and it has reached the point that it will be cost effective to bring them in house. I am familiar with manual lathes, mills, and grinders. I am not familiar with VMC, vertical lathes, ect. So I thought I would reach out to the experts :codger: to get your opinion on which machine(s) you would buy. I have budgeted 300k max but I am hoping I can get what I need for 150k with used machines. Thanks in advance, I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with.

Onto the parts:

Shaft - 8.5" OD x 70" long.

Rotor - 16" OD x 30" Long, need to bore ID to 8"

Frame - I have attached a rough outline of the part. The OD will be cast and we need to put some flats on it and some holes in it.

Frame.jpg

Ends - I have also attached a rough outline of this part. The only thing somewhat challenging is the hole at the angles.

End.jpg

The plan is to go CNC if I can afford it. The drawings are very rough. There is a lot more holes and details that are not shown. A smaller version of the End on our manual mill take 16 to 20 hours.

Long shaft is hard.
Cheapest new - likely haas ST45L. 155k€.
Its a new model, so you wont find one used.

I suspect anything cnc that long will be more, even used.
1750 mm - there are few machines, and all are $$, afaik.

Also, they dont make it any more, but would fit very well for short runs.
Haas TL4, used.

Interested in suggestions..

What about tooling?
What about fixturing?
What about programming software?
You want a machine to do everything with minimal set-ups?
Is the 70" length your longest part?
Is the 26" diameter you largest part?

Largist size parts. Not having an entire set of drawings, it's hard to make a call. Gut tells me that 300K might get you into a used CNC lathe with tooling and fixturing. That's a big MIGHT!.

About 3 years ago, I set-up a Doosan 400L turning center. That was a new machine. Everything came to just over 800K. The 20" chuck was 35K. The steady rest for long shafts was another 30K.
JR

Long shaft is hard.
Cheapest new - likely haas ST45L. 155k€.
Its a new model, so you wont find one used.

I suspect anything cnc that long will be more, even used.
1750 mm - there are few machines, and all are $$, afaik.

Also, they dont make it any more, but would fit very well for short runs.
Haas TL4, used.

Interested in suggestions..

A tl4 would work great for us but the swing is an inch short, we need 36".

What about tooling?
I have planed for this separately. Mostly just common tool holder, end mills drill and taps. Nothing to fancy.

What about fixturing?
I have also planed for this separately.

What about programming software?
Planing on starting with a conversational controller and upgrading to CAM system.

You want a machine to do everything with minimal set-ups?
That would be nice but with the small runs I don't think it is a requirement.

Is the 70" length your longest part?
Yes

Is the 26" diameter you largest part?
I need to turn the frame that equates to a 36" swing.

Largist size parts. Not having an entire set of drawings, it's hard to make a call. Gut tells me that 300K might get you into a used CNC lathe with tooling and fixturing. That's a big MIGHT!.

About 3 years ago, I set-up a Doosan 400L turning center. That was a new machine. Everything came to just over 800K. The 20" chuck was 35K. The steady rest for long shafts was another 30K.
JR

For low volume work in the size range you listed I would look at a DeVlieg JigMill that has been retrofitted with a cnc controller. Or you could probably find a HBM with a CNC controller that wuold work fine for what you're doing.

For 2-10 pieces I think it's overkill to look at a HMC with a tool changer and erverything to accomodate that size. Like JR said, in for that size envelope you're probably looking around 300K.

Turning that 'Frame' on a lathe would be problematic: it would be very heavy to hold, too long, and a lot off balance. I think you'd be better with a HBM, it would allow you to do a lot more than just bore the hole.

Getting a lathe that will turn the shaft you described wouldn't be so bad, you probably won't want to turn dinky 8" shafts on a 40" swing lathe: not enough rpm available.

Turning that 'Frame' on a lathe would be problematic: it would be very heavy to hold, too long, and a lot off balance. I think you'd be better with a HBM, it would allow you to do a lot more than just bore the hole.

Getting a lathe that will turn the shaft you described wouldn't be so bad, you probably won't want to turn dinky 8" shafts on a 40" swing lathe: not enough rpm available.

We have designed tooling in the past to counter balance and allow a steady rest just off the end of the part. Some of the lathes I have come across have a high gear that goes 1500RPM. I know it isn't ideal but it would work for our low volume. I would love to get a HBM but I don't think I have the luxury of buying a machine for one operation.

The steady rest for long shafts was another 30K.
JR

$30k for a steady rest? That thing had better be answering the phones and have a cup of coffee ready for you when you get to the shop in the morning. Holy moly....but seriously, this has to be a roller steady with auto-positioning/clamping, right?

I just tend to think of a steady as being used in an old manual, and half the ones I've seen were homemade (because you can never find originals for sale that fit the machine.)

$30k is another machine to me :D

Back