What's new
What's new

Need yet another weird machine panel light I can't find.....(photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
This from a Swiss machine of 1984 vintage. Base is about .26" dia ....never seen one with two "wings" for the "bayonet" like this before, have you ? 24V, 3w ....any company in the USA have these ?

FullSizeRender-101.jpg

And no, McMaster doesn't have it...not even close.

I have one or two 12V versions of those.
From the land of warm refrigerators and equally warm beer, they're used in Lucas dash warning lights (high beam, turn indicator, and ignition) on my Sunbeam -- 12V of course.

A quick search showed a 6V version for motorcycles...
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cnc-machining/looking-local-cnc-shop-los-angeles-352424/

I'll update this when I find trade name of connector, or any 24V versions. But the UK is where they'll be hiding out...

On edit... and... never mind. Looks like george, Limy, and thermite had less to do than me. :)

On edit... and... never mind. Looks like george, Limy, and thermite had less to do than me. :)

Nah. Just estivating in the den with a 94 F heat index outdoors..and... MULTIPLE scores-of-years-long periodic need for weird "lamps".

There are two other stocking distributors who traffic in these goods. Handy to have them "bookmarked" in Milacron's biz. Nuisance items that fall into the "want of a nail" category.

Looks like this one is covered with a couple of potential sources. If you ever come up with one that is impossible, breaking out the bulb and inserting diodes, voltage regulation and LEDs into the metal shell may be possible. Fill the shell with clear potting material or clear epoxy would finish it off.

Looks like this one is covered with a couple of potential sources. If you ever come up with one that is impossible, breaking out the bulb and inserting diodes, voltage regulation and LEDs into the metal shell may be possible. Fill the shell with clear potting material or clear epoxy would finish it off.

Simpler yet. Just did this on the 2005 XJ8-L. It has three marker/repeater lights, each side that utilize those silly bent-wire-otherwise-all-glass incandescent lamps.

Needless to say, the contacts in the SOCKETS rot. Circa USD $35 to get the "proper" new ones, as a cheaper VW part that fits the housing is too fat to easily clear the sheet metal opening.

As luck would have it, truck market replacement clearance lamps were "on the wall" at the local NAPA as half-tube-of-Chapstick cylinders with a flange. Already fully-encapsulated LED, all moulded and potted housing, two ignorant pigtail leads.

A few minutes with a coarse file, the inbuilt stop-flange became a 3-wing twist-in, three cheap nitrile "O" rings, stacked, to stabilize it, a length of self-vulcanizing rubber 'lectrician's tape, two splices with the usual silicon grease, annnnnd..

No other 'tronics, goop, potting, or tedious labour needed atall.

HOPEFULLY done with each such conversion and periodic corrosion "nuisance" for the rest of MY life and/or the life of the XJ8-R.

These were 12V, but "truck" market has loads of choices in 24V goods, LED's are not actualy "cold" but do run at lower temps, so...

IMNSHO, it is nowadays HARD to justify retaining legacy short-lived, hot, vibration-sensitive incandescents when a box of already-encapsulated and current-ballasted LED's and an assortment of grommets can make upgrade fast and low-hassle, most any target machine.

3CW

Back