Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BSCustoms View Post
    out of pure curiosity does the pick affect the sound or just how one plays? I assumed sound was sound, but I also can barely push the play button.
    BSC: Good question.

First off, a player will notice very little difference in sound on an electric guitar, no matter the pick material. Most electric players who spend money on high-end picks do so for reasons of "feel," not tone. One could make a very good case that electric playing is much more about feel than acoustic.

Acoustic guitar (and mandolin, banjo, dulcimer, etc.) is where pick material produces a dramatic difference in the tone emitted from the instrument, and it is QUITE dramatic. In fact most of the hottest Bluegrass players -- this is an area where there's kind of a mania about pick materials -- will tell you that after the guitar itself and the strings, the pick is a crucial element in the tone of the instrument. If you think of it, it's the point of contact between the player and the string. For hundreds of years genuine tortoise shell has been the material of choice for all guitar picks, and still recently for such players as Ricky Skaggs, Tony Rice, Chris Thile, Bryan Sutton, etc. In short, it's huge. Many of these guys still only play tortoise, for which this is a quiet kind of black market going on.

In short, the pick is huge in playing acoustic guitar.

I didn't get into this as a business opportunity but because I'd been looking for decades to replace my (now-illegal) tortoise picks that I've been playing for forty years. Over time TS becomes brittle and prone to cracking or breaking. When I found these new materials, I knew I'd found something CLOSE to the real thing. There will never be a material like genuine tortoise, which is the best in my view that ever will be.

Again, folks, I hope I don't come off as sales-pitching here. There are a number of great brands offering these kinds of products. If anyone asks I will list all of them here. I've never minded promoting other peoples' stuff.

A final thought. Most of my fellow guitarists in Los Angeles don't even know about my company, even though we're almost three years in business. I like it that way. They are not commercial prospects to me; they are friends with whom I jam. Very few know about the upscale pick market, and even fewer know about Charmed Life. However, once in a while one of them gets wind of it from someone else in our community and asks about it. Last Friday, I gave a good buddy of mine a free pick to try. He has since written me three messages about how amazed he is at the difference -- and he, like me, has been playing more than forty years and plays an absolutely stunning Martin guitar.

Enuf. Thanks for your question.

scott

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    No disrespect here, but as plastics go people have been making buttons out of it since about the start of the 1900's, buttons with out scratches in them, think you would do really well to look at there methods and realise your 3 years have yet to count for all that much.

Your going to get nasty deep scratches with 200 grit and ceramic media, tumbling stuff is a art form, the wrong machines - media and you get no were - make things worse. Too much - too little media and you get the same exact issue. IMHO you will get no were with ceramic media, it won't remain sharp enough to cut plastic parts at all well.

That said, if you look at buttons there commonly tumbled too a polish, hence i think you need to be finding and copying them. Rather than trying to invent your own process. Theres more than a few how its made videos on button making on you-tube.

the fact your having to work through every grit and go so fine in tryzac to me says your not using anything like the correct buffing wheel - compound - speed. Nearly all commercially buffed to polish work does not need to see more than 600-800 grit, the buff will take that from there to mirror shine fast.
    Diamond, thanks for your post. I have tried buffing these on the wheel with much more aggressive compounds. The problem? The increased friction and heat generated by a heavier cutting compound warps the material instantly. It hates heat almost as much as it hates water.

thanks,
    scott

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Look into a used silicon wafer type lapping machine.

R. Howard Strasbaugh 6SR4 Wafer Grinding Dual Face Lapping Machine Polisher | eBay

LAPMASTER 15” LAPPING MACHINE | eBay

You may ask for a trial run if they would allow. There is a lot of this used equipment out there. It wouldn't damage edges

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Scott,

You can try with plastic media with different grade.
    The plastic media contain abrasive inside about 50%
    In addition, plastic media is a soft material that will not hurt your product
    You can run the test in a vibratory tumbler so that you can investigate the finishing every 5-10 minutes
    If the surface meet your requirement, you can stop the process any time.

Earnest

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Earnest123 View Post
    Hi Scott,

You can try with plastic media with different grade.
    The plastic media contain abrasive inside about 50%
    In addition, plastic media is a soft material that will not hurt your product
    You can run the test in a vibratory tumbler so that you can investigate the finishing every 5-10 minutes
    If the surface meet your requirement, you can stop the process any time.

Earnest
    Earnest, thanks so much for your response to this older thread. Would you be okay if I PM'd you with a few questions.

Thanks Again,
    Scott

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by educatedguess417 View Post
    Earnest, thanks so much for your response to this older thread. Would you be okay if I PM'd you with a few questions.

Thanks Again,
    Scott
    No, don't!

He's a spammer from China.
    Didn't you see all the threads he's dredging up?

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ChipSplitter View Post
    No, don't!

He's a spammer from China.
    Didn't you see all the threads he's dredging up?
    He's not a spammer, he just doesn't understand the US forum protocols yet. His company is helpful and has a wide variety of machines and media and experience and they do freeby experimentation on your parts. Agreed, replying to 400 old posts wasn't a good beginning move but in this case, the place is okay.

Let's see you try to do business in Guangzhou without fucking up ... at least this guy is trying to sell to the world, which I don't see many small US companies doing. Maybe if you did you wouldn't be so defensive.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    He's not a spammer, he just doesn't understand the US forum protocols yet. His company is helpful and has a wide variety of machines and media and experience and they do freeby experimentation on your parts. Agreed, replying to 400 old posts wasn't a good beginning move but in this case, the place is okay.

Let's see you try to do business in Guangzhou without fucking up ... at least this guy is trying to sell to the world, which I don't see many small US companies doing. Maybe if you did you wouldn't be so defensive.
    YOU !

So you come back and sent in/brought a spammer with you ?

"No, he's extremely knowledgable". So is Rick Seeman, you don't see him dredging and spamming.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for chiming in Doug!

I don't have the nerve to tackle him myself.
    Too scared I'll say what I think and get banned...

This Earnest--whatever has been regurgitating old threads and now EG comes to his rescue. Hmm...