What's new
What's new

neoprene bonding.

ccesar

Plastic
Hi everybody, this is my first post ever, I hope i am doing it right. I'm trying to design a reusable mask N95 for the current pandemic. question, i have to bond neoprene to ABS plastic without need to stretch the bonding. cyanoacrylate is medical grade and seem to bond well. both materials have high energy. do you have experience with this type of bonding. ?
thanks

can you use a tape?

btw, what did you do to the abs to have "high energy"?

can you use a tape?

btw, what did you do to the abs to have "high energy"?

might be contrasting those plastics vs low energy plastics such as polyethelene which are impossible to glue without proprietary, and dangerous/caustic enchants to strip apart the molecules so the glue has something to stick to.

well, that was the point, usually abs is classified as low energy and hard to glue. i believe solvents, acids or primers are used to activate it.

well, that was the point, usually abs is classified as low energy and hard to glue. i believe solvents, acids or primers are used to activate it.

aren't most all sewer systems made from abs pipe? you aren't supposed to use pvc pipe glue but it seems to work.

shoe goo or E6000 may be worth trying.

Barge rubber cement is another option, abs pipe glue..

abs to abs is easy (just like pvc): you dont really glue but use a solvent. cyanoacrylates should work, but there are so many kinds that you better get it right for a product you sell. in a production environment they might be difficult to apply, unless you have a robot doing in.

Have you given thought to the sterilization process?

Any glue joint must withstand it.

Just my opinion but I suspect that a mechanical joint that can be disassembled for cleaning might be more practical, and eliminate possible tiny voids where contamination could hide.

Another think to keep in mind is that this situation will eventually wind down and there are numerous commercial products already on the market and manufacturers have been ramping up production. Being late to market might mean unloading inventory at surplus prices.

Back