Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Chuck assembly

I got a new chuck off of eBay and it’s a D1 cam lock and the pins our not in the back. When I put the pins in I no I’ve gotta line up the small set screws. But do I have to let those studs loose wherever they line up. Some seem loose when lined up. Wandering do I lock tight them in after there lined up. Thanks in advance. Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pins will be loose. Pins should have a witness line on them ,screw them in till line is even with the face where they go in. Install lock screws ,mount on lathe and then check if witness mark on the cams end up where they are suspost to. Sometimes to get the cams to end up where they are suspost to you may need to turn the pins in or out a turn.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newt8411 View Post
    I got a new chuck off of eBay and it’s a D1 cam lock and the pins our not in the back. When I put the pins in I no I’ve gotta line up the small set screws. But do I have to let those studs loose wherever they line up. Some seem loose when lined up. Wandering do I lock tight them in after there lined up. Thanks in advance. Todd
    Start with the anchor screws OUT...

You will have to adjust each camlock stud, one turn - in or out - at a time.

WHEN your camlocks in the spindle pull tight with their witness mark between 3 O'clock and 6 O'clock, (4:30 is about perfect.. ) THEN install the camlock stud anchor capscrews.

They are MEANT to allow a skosh of rotation as the camlock studs interact with the cams in the spindle.

IF you cannot get the draw-up - a precise interference fit - to hit after 3 O'clock, but BEFORE 6 O'clock of rotation (it goes LOOSE again from 6 O'clock back to 12 O'clock..) ?

You need one of more of: new studs, new cams, or TEDIOUS service to the taper cone and safety flat. "The good news is" .. .that the camlock studs... the cheapest and easiest to replace.. wear the most and wear first. OTOH, used ones may BE worn, and badly.

Mack-it for new ones, top grade. US threads for-sure.
    Shars for the cheaper, weaker Metric threaded ones if you are so afflicted.

ONLY the camlock stud and anchor screw THREADS are US or Metric. ALL ELSE is identical and interchangeable.

All this stuff is well covered, already, refinishing the forcing cone and flat included.. "right here, on PM".