What's new
What's new

New to a Deckel SO. Any suggestions?

burdickjp

Aluminum
Just picked one up. On my todo list is finding some collets, some blanks, and some wheels.
Does anyone have suggestions for suppliers, methods, tooling, maintenance, etc?
Anything not obvious or not covered in the manuals?

signal-attachment-2020-03-09-223914.jpg

Wheels are metric 100 mm od, 20 mm id. Limited selection and suppliers. Don't overlook the obvious, sleeve any 3-4"x 1 1/4" bore wheel. Collets are even more special with buttress threads. Not a lot of options here to buying Deckel collets unless you want to chance the high runout of Chinese.

This is a low power machine so avoid using it to split the ends of your larger tool bits. It just takes too long. Buy them pre split or get to the 1/2 dia on your surface grinder. This is really a finishing/re-sharpening machine.

I have a Kuhlmann SU2 and use an ER16 collet holder in the
Deckel 16 mm collet. Yes the Kuhlmann uses Deckel collets. I use it to sharpen small drills of any size. Produces nice even split point drill tips.

If you haven't already look up stefan Gotteswinter on YouTube. He has some videos showing how to use a d bit grinder. The manuals also contains plenty of good info.
As mentioned some sort of er collet Chuck could reduce the number of deckel collets you need to buy as they are not cheap and the Chinese ones are crusty.

Have fun, these are nice little machines.
Luke

Just used mine yesterday to add a positive relief to the face of somecut knurling rollers. So yes, very nice machine to have.

Very versatile machine-tooling depends a lot on what you plan to do with it?
Sharpening single lip engraving cutters requires different collets/wheels/accessories vs making pantograph styli, lathe form tools or reworking
drills/end mills.

I love mine. It’s helpful to keep in mind you can fabricate all sorts of useful custom holders to slide into the dovetail base.

Like a flat or angled base to grind rectangular tool steel cutters.
Or sharpening scraper blades.
Or a vee block base for holding drill bits for grinding.

I think there were a bunch of videos on YouTube by TheToolandDieGuy Phil Kerner on how to use one. I don't have one so just skimmed them.

Seems to be a whole numbered series of them..

YouTube

One of the tasks I was considering for the SO was grinding engine valves. These are poppet valves with a 45 degree seat. The angle would be similar to grinding a dovetail cutter. I've noticed there's a 90 degree hard stop on the SO which prevents me from swinging it over in a way which would allow me to cut that. Any suggestions?

Back