What's new
What's new

New Drill Press

PM44115

Plastic
We have a JET drill press... Probably been out in the shop for only 5 years and we have had it with it. We do not use it that much, but the downtime is killer and we end up having to take a piece or two into the machine shop and cut into bigger production (or we wait too long for just a couple of drilled holes)

Any suggestions? 120V is preferred, and it needs to cut up to 3/4" material and up to 7/8" holes. Preferably American Made, but I know that is a tall order for drill presses nowadays.

Clausing will handle the requirement in mild steel, it’s is available in single phase, and I think can be switched to 120- it’s a 1.5hp motor, so I don’t recommend it on a 20A breaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a JET drill press... Probably been out in the shop for only 5 years and we have had it with it. We do not use it that much, but the downtime is killer and we end up having to take a piece or two into the machine shop and cut into bigger production (or we wait too long for just a couple of drilled holes)

Any suggestions? 120V is preferred, and it needs to cut up to 3/4" material and up to 7/8" holes. Preferably American Made, but I know that is a tall order for drill presses nowadays.

What model Jet do you have? I've had a Jet JDP125VS-3 going on 20 years and it's been a good machine. It was built in Taiwan in 1987 and purchased new by the company I worked for. I bought it when the shop closed down. This particular model is a 3 phase variable speed model with speeds from 200 to 2000 rpm. It's rated to drill 1 1/4" holes in mild steel. It's a fairly substantial machine in that it weigh a little over 750 lbs.

Here are a couple pictures of the model I'm referring to. This isn't my machine, but rather one that was listed on eBay a while ago.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1601.jpg

Second on the Ellis. I have one, it’s BAD ASS. Highly recommend an adapter for annular cutters, either MT3 to 3/4” Weldon or the Milwaukee Steel Hawg style. I have both and use both for pretty much any hole bigger than 1/2”. I stock high speed steel annular cutters from 9/16”-2” and use the Milwaukee carbide tipped steel hawgs above 2”.
In any case I wholeheartedly recommend all of the Ellis products I’ve used, saws and drill presses mostly, they hold up in a variety of circumstances with an even wider range of operator skills. I’m not affiliated in any way with Ellis beyond being a satisfied customer.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it hard to understand a drill press that constantly breaks down. I have used many of them, name brands and imports, bench top and floor stand, belt and gear drive. Most were in situations where they were used by novice and well seasoned machinists alike. None were pampered. I have seen holes drilled in the tables, but I've never seen even one that broke. Your Jet may just be a rare problem case. Or you have a real problem case on your staff.

If I were you I would find one from a good supplier that has the features that I needed and not waste any more time on it. Capacity, speeds, chuck range, etc. The chuck range can be an unexpected surprise: I wound up with two chucks for my floor stand DP to cover the range from small to large bits. One feature I find almost indespensible is a good, easy/quick to adjust depth stop. But that may be just me. The chuck should be mounted in a taper for easy replacement. Power feed? Oh, and real Tee slots in the table, not those cast in slots. McMaster usually has good stuff. But there are many others. Whoever you choose, ask about their warranty period.

A drill press is one of the most basic and simple machines in the shop. If you avoid the cheapest of the imports, I don't think you will go wrong.

Last edited:
Clausing is USA made, been around forever, and will do what you want and they have made a million of them.

Place I worked had one of those 17" jets. Table bore for the column was not square to the table resulting in all the holes drilled on the POS being on the piss. What a pathetic piece of junk.

...My questions: 1) Is it worth the extra $170 (plus tax) to get the floor model?...

I would say it's worth it. I started with a benchtop DP which was fine until I had a too-tall part to drill. Sold it and replaced with a floor model, no regrets.

I’m looking to get my first drill press and I’m not sure if I should get a benchtop or floor model for my small garage workshop. If I get a benchtop drill press I could build a moveable stand – an advantage given my space limitations – but I don’t know if it will be sufficiently versatile and powerful for amateur woodworking, e.g., building pieces of furniture, built-ins and cabinets for my house. A floor model might be more than I need, though, and would cost more. I’m looking at the Jet JDP-15B Benchtop 15″ drill press and the Jet JDP-17 17″ 3/4HP drill press. Both are currently on sale, the 15″ at $679 and 17″ at $849, but the 15″ is out of stock with a delivery date of late July. A prior version of the 15″, the JDP-15M, was rated Best Overall in a 2007 FWW tool review. My questions: 1) Is it worth the extra $170 (plus tax) to get the floor model? 2) Does anyone have experience with a Jet drill press? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or recommendations.

I went through a similar internal debate in 2005 or so. I was looking quite seriously at a Clausing 20" variable-speed drill press in good condition for $600 , but ultimately got a Millrite MVI instead (for $1200), mainly for lack of floor space - the MVI makes a fine drill press, the only real limitation being that the MVI's stroke is 4" versus 6" for the Clausing. I also got a benchtop Delta model DP350 12" drill press, also variable speed. The Clausing and the Delta use Reeves VS Drives, and the MVI has cone pulleys. All but the Delta are driven by a dedicated VFD.

What breaks, and why? As others have noted, this is strange.

By the way, please put your geographic location in your user profile, such that it appears under your name in postings.

Used Arboga, we have a benchtop and pedestal. Have had one for 30+ years, the other I bought used for $800, they will outlive me and likely the next owner too. Geared head, 2speed reversing, replaced a switch once and the old bi-metal overload relays w solid state.

Back