What's new
What's new

New to forum, and where to get ENCO knee mill parts?

CDennyRun

Plastic
Hello everyone! I'm new to the form, but have been reading posts on here for a long time. Seems like a lot of good people here!

I just bought an Enco 100-1525 (8x36) mill, and the X&Y axis both have a fair about of backlash.. much more than I would like. I'd like to get new lead screw nuts for it as well as the Z fine feed engagement wheel. I know I can fabricate the fine feed wheel, but it would be nice to have the factory one. I have searched a bit online, and it looks like they went out of business in 2016. MSC pops up as a supplier, but I didn't see much of anything on there for Enco mills. Can anyone help me here?

I looked for an Enco specific section on the sight and didn't find one, so that's why I posted in the general section.

Thanks in advance folks! I really appreciate it.

Chris Denny

That is a home shop type mill I believe and parts will be a issue. Take a look and see if Grizzly isn't still selling something very similar ,if so a good chance you MIGHT be able to source parts from them. Enco/MSC were never real good about parts for older machines. Also JET and other sold very similar mills.

These mills are known as A1S or 8x36 style mills. Ok quality, but I have seen a number of them and no two are quite alike. Things like 1/10" or 1/8" pitch leascrews. The later is not so good if you are math challenged. Good luck!

Thanks guys! I might just pull the lead screw nuts out and bring them to my favorite machine shop to be duplicated. Most of the other things I can take care of myself.

I know it's not a high quality machine and it has it's quirks, but I'm just happy to have a knee style milling machine at home finally. I only gave $1000 for it with a two axis Mitutoyo DRO, so If figure if I have to put a few hundred bucks into it to machine to my standards.. it's worth it.

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

Regards,

Chris Denny

If you have a lathe you should be able to make your own nuts. They should be bronze. Remove the nuts from the mill, reverse engineer them, reinstall them, then reinstall them. A real PITA to do all that but that is the only way you will be able to use the mill while making the new nuts.

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe.. maybe one day when I'm all grown up! Lol. I'll just have to have the machine down for a few days-week when I do it. In the meanwhile I can still make good parts. I've made things work with totally wore out Bridgeports that had .060 of backlash, so this isn't too bad.

Thanks for you responses folks!

It never was an issue. I am kinda surprised by all the people here who get fixated on backlash. It's fun to not have much but for machining on a manual mill/lathe, it makes no difference. None.

You realize with a DRO screw backlash really is not much of a issue ,more of an annoyance than a issue.

Yep, I've never ran a machine that had less than 10/15 thou of backlash. It's not that big a deal as long as you have good gib locks and take up the backlash before releasing them to start your next cut. The more backlash you have the more it can mess up your cut if you don't do it right.

I learned on a clapped out 60 year old Bridgeport and I'm really glad I learned on it, and not a new machine. Kinda like learning to drive a manual first.

My Y axis has about .045 of backlash, and the X only has about .020. It's mostly the Y that I would like to address.

Regards,

Hello everyone! I'm new to the form, but have been reading posts on here for a long time. Seems like a lot of good people here!

I looked for an Enco specific section on the sight and didn't find one, so that's why I posted in the general section.

welcome!

well, I don't know about a lot, but probably a few..:)

dont spend too much time looking for that Enco specific section!

Instead of wearing out your gibs, just don't climb cut.

Yes, that's not what I do. What I was referring is more like when you're cutting a slot and you go in to take the next bite with the Z axis, and start going in the reverse direction. I lock the gibs to plunge Z, remove the backlash and then release the gib lock as I traverse whatever direction I need to next.

Regards,

Back