What's new
What's new

New to the forum, and why I signed up

DumpsterFire

Plastic
Hello Ya'll

I've been finding a lot of good information as needed on here over the years, and recently decided to join because I got the itch to purchase a lathe. I'm not a novice, but I'm also not anywhere near as seasoned as I could/should be. I was learning under my workplace machinist who has since retired, and as fabrication isn't a main part of my job I haven't gotten the hours and practice, nor do I have many avenues for advice, as my age range.... uh.. anyway.

Here's my angle: I can't stand new stuff, I'm not broke but I am on a budget, so 10k, even 1k is a little steep. I tend to buy everything but underwear and socks used. I fix quite a bit of the more heavy duty tools I acquire, and thoroughly enjoy doing so. Now lathes. We have a summit and a clausing at work. It's not a playground so I can't just bring in engine parts and ideas all willy nilly. So recently I've found a behemoth of a lathe. American machine works, 14" x 72," maybe 84," and it's dirt cheap, obvious inspection is necessary before purchase, but it's 200 miles away. I don't have all the accoutrements to haul such a dinosaur etc. but if it is in decent condition and the tailstock, chuck, gearing etc don't have a bunch of play and or damage, I would consider taking it home in a heartbeat. I also found an unknown much smaller lathe, runs, comes with tools (rough tools at that) and again measurements, inspection are needed. I can probably get it home without renting anything too.

So since I just can't seem to see why buying a chinese lathe for 500, 1k, even 5k is worth the investment seeing as all the tubeyou videos seem to show people modifying them to work with mild steel, idk, I can't see why it's even worth these mass produced things existing. seems like there are dozens of well engineered pieces of history being hauled to the scrap yard for $0.04 a lb, and thousands being thrown overseas for crap that doesn't have a QA/QC anything worth a damn.

am I right? am I wrong? I feel I should wait, but who knows.

At the end of the day it's not bread, is deadlier than a vending machine and the big one takes up a lot of real-estate.

Rant-End

Large, older lathes have little place in today's production and or job-shop environment. Too slow, too manual and usually too worn out. They're scrapped out every day. I've seen shops have to pay someone to haul them away if they're in a difficult situation from which to extricate.

For the home shop, the big iron has too large a footprint, too heavy and thus expensive to move and vast overkill for the size work to be done.

On the other hand, a small-to-medium USA lathe ideal in size for the home shop and in ready to work condition will cost several times more than the dinosaur iron; simple supply and demand.

jack vines

There is sooo much to be said for rescuing and repairing an aging machine from the scrapper. Besides the dollar saving there is the knowledge, confidence, and satisfaction you will gain in the process........priceless.........Bob

IMO the existence of inferior import machine tools just illustrates the disconnect between the suits at corporate who decide to promote said import machines, and the shop floor where noobs and old-timers alike fight to make them work (sometimes with success). It all starts with supply companies decades back deciding that they just need to fill a lathe shaped hole in their product line and do it to a price point that undercuts everyone else, then little by little changes are made to cut corners and there's never any feedback because the seller doesn't care because they already made a sale and the builder doesn't care because it's not their job.

When it comes to buying machinery, buy a reputable brand with great OEM support that leads to knowledgeable owners supporting each other, OR a well built (sadly obsolete) "classic" with owners supporting each other that started long ago when there was still great OEM support.

Hello Ya'll

I've been finding a lot of good information as needed on here over the years, and recently decided to join because I got the itch to purchase a lathe. I'm not a novice, but I'm also not anywhere near as seasoned as I could/should be. I was learning under my workplace machinist who has since retired, and as fabrication isn't a main part of my job I haven't gotten the hours and practice, nor do I have many avenues for advice, as my age range.... uh.. anyway.

Here's my angle: I can't stand new stuff, I'm not broke but I am on a budget, so 10k, even 1k is a little steep. I tend to buy everything but underwear and socks used. I fix quite a bit of the more heavy duty tools I acquire, and thoroughly enjoy doing so. Now lathes. We have a summit and a clausing at work. It's not a playground so I can't just bring in engine parts and ideas all willy nilly. So recently I've found a behemoth of a lathe. American machine works, 14" x 72," maybe 84," and it's dirt cheap, obvious inspection is necessary before purchase, but it's 200 miles away. I don't have all the accoutrements to haul such a dinosaur etc. but if it is in decent condition and the tailstock, chuck, gearing etc don't have a bunch of play and or damage, I would consider taking it home in a heartbeat. I also found an unknown much smaller lathe, runs, comes with tools (rough tools at that) and again measurements, inspection are needed. I can probably get it home without renting anything too.

So since I just can't seem to see why buying a chinese lathe for 500, 1k, even 5k is worth the investment seeing as all the tubeyou videos seem to show people modifying them to work with mild steel, idk, I can't see why it's even worth these mass produced things existing. seems like there are dozens of well engineered pieces of history being hauled to the scrap yard for $0.04 a lb, and thousands being thrown overseas for crap that doesn't have a QA/QC anything worth a damn.

At the end of the day it's not bread, is deadlier than a vending machine and the big one takes up a lot of real-estate.

Rant-End

Nothing wrong with having a machine that size of you foresee yourself needing a lathe of that size.

Consider cost of hauling and your ability to transport. Hint... It's an inverse proportion.

Do you have the room and power to set up and run that lathe. These things alone can turn it into a headache if not prepared.

Now, biggest question in my mind, is it in reasonably good condition, or close enough you can put it to rights. Also tooling that comes with it. Minimum a decent three jaw, some type of tool holder (preferably modern), with turning and boring bits.and a Chuck for the tailstock. A steady rest is very nice to have as well. Extra tooling is gravy. No tooling can get into your pocket pretty quick. Sometimes you can search around and pick it up reasonable.... Sometimes not so much.

With that said I have a long bed 16" pacemaker that's a joy to run when i need it. I had to add on to my shop before I hauled it home. Funny enough, of the lathes at my disposal, the smaller 13x36 Sheldon is typically my go to lathe for run of the mill repair work. I don't have to start my rpc(lathe is set up on a static converter).

You didn't mention year or top speed for the lathe your looking at. If it's top speed is 600 or better that's a plus.

Good luck whichever you decide,
Hodge

Qt op[We have a summit and a clausing at work. so likely you are up on what you need/want and condition to watch out for.... consider electric power and what service you have.

from Johnoder manual looks like 1 to 3 hp for 14.

Welcome to PM...standard lathev advice Don't Drop it or tip it over.
Buck

welcome.

I salute the desire to stick with old, quality iron, and second the aversion to buying junk. ill give you a few things to consider however, before possibly jumping off the deep end with the American.

as has been said, things will cost more going with heavy iron. like moving it, electric hookup, phase converter if needed, accessories like chucks and other accessories and tooling.

you do definitely need to know if it is worth the effort of bring it back to life, wear on screws, ways, and bearings, state of gears, motor, apron controls, etc.

if it is rusted hulk that has been sitting for years, it might be a real time suck, and if old and busted, parts are difficult to find.

post pictures here, and im sure someone has experience with the type or model.

waiting a bit and finding something like a 10-12 X 24-36 class Logan, Clausing, etc might be the way to go.

good luck!

If it's something you want, the biggest thing is figuring out if the machine in question is truly "old gold" or merely just old. Check the ways for wear marks, cross and compound slides for hourglassing and scoring, lead screws for excessive backlash, function check everything, check for broken/worn gear teeth, etc. Engage the half nuts with the machine stopped and check for excessive play. If it's a plain bearing spindle a' la South Bend, see if the seller will allow you to pull the caps off to steal a peek at the spindle journals. Fat chance but worth a try. If it ends up needing new spindle bearings, can you still obtain them? Things like that to think about.

Power is generally not too much of a problem as long as it's not a single-voltage 480V motor and you've got access to 240V in your garage. Drives exist to convert 240V single phase to three phase.

Big Lathe, Small Lathe, old or new Lathe

Hello Ya'll

Rant-End

I have a 1942 monarch CK 20 x 78 I picked this up from a plant maintenence supervisor who bought it from the company where he works when he got it home it was too big for his garage....lucky me.!! This machine was 170 miles away on a trailer under a tarp...I pulled back the tarp and sucked a deep breath of air I couldn't believe what I was looking at!! Beautiful machine....I asked the gent what he wanted for it he said a grand and you know your getting a deal Right??!! I picked this machine out for myself..asked if I could borrow the tandem axle trailer to get it home he said why dont you buy the trailer for 500.00 and the lathe can go with it...1500.00.....that monarch was the sweetest machine and with the taper attachement and my nicest machine....there was a Lodge and Shipley listed 65 miles away on Craig's List and I asked a friend if he wanted to take a ride he said your not going to buy another lathe are you.....I said it dosent cost anything to look...how many of you guys say that?? We went to have a peek...this man had this machine listed for 2 months and people that came and looked at it wanted to trade him fork lifts , trucks, tractors for it....I couldn't believe what I was looking at!!! A Lodge and Shipley Power turn 20x80 with the replaceable toolsteel ways 1964 vintage....have you ever tried to hide your emotions while sealing the deal?? It was 3 times what I paid for the monarch but 100 times the machine!! my friend said I could tell the moment you looked at the bed ways you were going to buy it......I guess what I'm saying is keep your eyes peeled, search craigs list, check out high school auctions. Estate Sales and Auctions even HGR Surplus...Lost Creek machine in Ottawa illinois...and you might find that Diamond in the Rough as I did....I couldn't even run the Lodge and Shipley because his Rotary converter wasn't big enough!!! I voiced my concern ....he had the machine hard wired into his panel and bought it at an Auction in crown point indiana 2 months prior....he said everything works feeds everything I bought this for my shop but cant run it with what I have and not about to rake the 20 hp. Motor out of it!!.....bid your time keep looking and the Right machine will come along.....it did for me Twice!!...and WELCOME ABOARD I'm also new here

Back