What's new
What's new

New guy needing help with a beginner setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bombguy2

Plastic
Hi, Can someone point me in the right direction of a machine that is no more than 220v and can machine up to 1/2in. Metal Stock precisely and repeatedly with a program?

Shure i have just the thing 100k and I will deliver it and give you an entire hour of programming training

Pm me when the cashier's check is ready

Hi, Can someone point me in the right direction of a machine that is no more than 220v and can machine up to 1/2in. Metal Stock precisely and repeatedly with a program?

-Hey Bomb, I suspect you've already left in a huff, but in the off chance you haven't, honestly, you gave us zero data to work with.

By "program", we can assume you mean a CNC something, but you could still be referring to a vertical machining center, a horizontal boring mill, a jig bore, a drill, a lathe, a bandsaw, a surface grinder, a cylindrical grinder, a laser or even a plasma table.

Are you referring to 1/2" plate? 1/2" round? 1/2" wall thickness tube?

Mild steel? Alloy steel? AR500? Stainless? Titanium? Inconel? Aluminum? Brass? Magnesium?

Are you looking to make six parts a day? 50,000 a week? What's your estimated cycle time? Two holes and a slot, or 200,000 lines of code to contour?

We need a little more data, here. :D

Doc.

Well who gives a shit about the fine details, then?
Why f**k-around if you are grateful for a ration of dickheads?

MQ-9 Reaper. Warshots according to the need. "JFDI"

You did sign-on as a "Bomb" guy? And here you thought WE were the stoopid ones?

Welcome to PM!

We can create a problem to solve ANY other problem. Or even ANY solution!

Whom did you THINK your were f*****g with?
Cheese puffs, maybe?

Three doors down the hall.
Right next to the Chaplain's office.

:(

-Hey Bomb, I suspect you've already left in a huff, but in the off chance you haven't, honestly, you gave us zero data to work with.

By "program", we can assume you mean a CNC something, but you could still be referring to a vertical machining center, a horizontal boring mill, a jig bore, a drill, a lathe, a bandsaw, a surface grinder, a cylindrical grinder, a laser or even a plasma table.

Are you referring to 1/2" plate? 1/2" round? 1/2" wall thickness tube?

Mild steel? Alloy steel? AR500? Stainless? Titanium? Inconel? Aluminum? Brass? Magnesium?

Are you looking to make six parts a day? 50,000 a week? What's your estimated cycle time? Two holes and a slot, or 200,000 lines of code to contour?

We need a little more data, here. :D

Doc.

Doc, I agree I didn't give much info and no I didn't leave in a Huff. I came hear to learn. I'll also agree that I presented my question incorrectly. I should of initially asked what information would y'all need to help guide me in the correct direction. I didn't and for that I apologize.

To answer your questions I'll do my best.

The program..Im unsure as I'm new and I don't know what program helps what machine(s).

The machine though is a Horizontal Lathe either 1,2,3 axis . I can run up to 240V.

The stock will be up to 1/2in. Round of various metals with a TS (MPa) up to 1450 and/or YS(MPa) up to 1380

This machine will be mainly used to make Archery pieces( Nok inserts, Field tips, Field tip inserts).
The arrows can reach speeds of 300 fps +. So precision and repeatability is key. Piece count is in the Hundreds as I have a family of Archers and this sport can get spend..Thanks Bombguy

OK, this is a hobby you enter because you like to make things. You will NEVER save a penny making a hundred of these things you can buy off the shelf. If you want to prototype new ideas or seek higher precision, maybe. Ignore machines made in China. They are not to be discussed here.

OK, this is a hobby you enter because you like to make things. You will NEVER save a penny making a hundred of these things you can buy off the shelf. If you want to prototype new ideas or seek higher precision, maybe. Ignore machines made in China. They are not to be discussed here.

Got it...thanks and yes I'm looking to prototype an idea or two for for now I still want to learn the basics then proceed from there.- bombguy

That's not really true. He could find an old Hardinge AHC and rattle them out all day. That doesn't mean there's any payback but MAYBE if he makes something you can't already buy from china. By the way, no Chinese machines? Where do the new Hardinge machines come from?

Last edited:
The program..Im unsure as I'm new and I don't know what program helps what machine(s).

-Generally speaking, "programming" is called "G-Code", which is the type of instructions the machine will understand. The whole process of modelling a part, converting it into a toolpath, and then turning that toolpath into instructions your particular machine will understand, is itself a topic worthy of several books.

I suggest researching that separately- if you're only just starting out, that's a very deep rabbit hole. :D

The machine though is a Horizontal Lathe either 1,2,3 axis . I can run up to 240V.

-The majority of lathes, or CNC turning centers, you're going to find are just two-axis. If you need the machine to also mill notches or tip flats, you'll need a 3rd axis and "live" tooling.

And the problem there is that you won't find a "home shop" turning center with a 3rd axis or live tooling, at least not commercially. An industrial machine, even used, with those features, is going to be well into the five figures.

By "240V" I'm assuming you mean single phase house current. Limiting to 1ph means effectively 'home shop' machines, although if you have a 50A 220V stove or dryer service, you can get VFDs or rotary converters that will give you workable 3-phase suitable for smaller machines.

That, too, is kind of a rabbit hole. :D

The stock will be up to 1/2in. Round of various metals with a TS (MPa) up to 1450 and/or YS(MPa) up to 1380

-You're allowed to say "aluminum" and "steel". :D

Given the archery use, I'll presume aluminum, alloy steels and possibly the occasional plastics. For aluminum and plastic, you'll need a high spindle speed, probably 6K and up if you can swing it, and for steel you'll need some grunt. 8-10 HP maybe. You can get away with less on both, of course, since it doesn't sound like you're trying to maximize production.

This machine will be mainly used to make Archery pieces( Nok inserts, Field tips, Field tip inserts).

-Going along with NRD, above, I'm presuming this is either a prototyping situation, or "just for fun". If you're trying to save money, it's a lost cause- production nocks are injection molded, and no turning center on the planet can beat IM for cost-per-part.

If you're protoyping, that's different, though from what I know of the sport, there's already 275,000 different types of tips, blades and points out there. I won't say not to try and chase after that particular mousetrap, but if there's a hope of a moneymaking venture, I will say it'll be a tricky one.

Piece count is in the Hundreds as I have a family of Archers and this sport can get spend.

-This makes me think it's a case of trying to save money by making ones' own parts at home.

And that's not going to happen. In some cases people have done so with maybe a 3D printer making noncrucial parts or Warhammer miniatures at home, but you're looking at a steep learning curve just to operate the machine, probably at least five figures worth of machine and tooling, and if you're dedicated, maybe upwards of a year just to have your first workable part in your hand.

Again, not gonna say 'don't try', this can be and is a fun hobby, but if the desired result is to 'save money'... well, save your money. :D

Doc.

Funny thing is I actually have a ws#3 turret lathe in pieces that needs a motor also

It would be fairly cheep to get going again

And no programming to learn

But I'm a dickhead...

Funny thing is I actually have a ws#3 turret lathe in pieces that needs a motor also

It would be fairly cheep to get going again

And no programming to learn

But I'm a dickhead...

So was I before I needed a search warrant to find the remains!

:)

We all CAN be.

Doc put it about as well as could be though.

A(ny) person,reasonably handy, who hasn't been around the mechanisms of production looks at an item, says "well another human MADE that. So can I!"

And the weird part is.. that IF he was in dire need, and all he had out in the remote-back was HAND tools?

He probably just would do. No one is around to tell him it is too difficult.

See stone-age arrows and arrow heads.

We would not FIND so many of them - distributed over so much of the Earth, and over such a stunning span of time .... if they had not WORKED.

And then metals entered. And they got progressively BETTER! "Consistent" thus predictable.. off the back of improving precision.. 'etc'

‘Mad’ Jack Churchill Became The Only Man During WWII To Kill An Enemy Soldier With An Arrow Fired From A Longbow

Wasn't ALL he did. Wasn't his only weapon. Just more ... flexible? .. than average.

Stayed alive in a tough War to die of old age at 89, yet. And they called him "Mad Jack"?

Run what you GOT!

:D

Id say to start out, find a local machine shop, lathes of the cnc world start minimum for a decent used one in the 20K+ range and need a few grand more in tooling.

Most machine shops, like the ones near me are $100 an hr, so that would take 200 hrs worth of work to even break even at 20K. plus cutting tools and material.

100 pcs is only a couple hrs at most if set up correctly worth of production.

I really got into bows and arrows after watching The Hunger Games. I really identified with the way there was finally a movie that portrayed girls as strong and capable and good with the bow and arrow. I got a bow and arrow and went to all the places where the bow and arrow girls did their arrow shooting but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop myself from telling the girls, "Look down inside your shirt and spell 'ATTIC'.

I really got into bows and arrows after watching The Hunger Games. I really identified with the way there was finally a movie that portrayed girls as strong and capable and good with the bow and arrow. I got a bow and arrow and went to all the places where the bow and arrow girls did their arrow shooting but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop myself from telling the girls, "Look down inside your shirt and spell 'ATTIC'.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back