New hire with chuck key in lathe problem? - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is very dangerous. Period. My personal rule after 43 years is never let go of that chuck wrench until you return it home. Use it, hold on to it and put it back where it lives.

Reminds me of a shop I worked. Anything for a buck attitude. They would stick the janitor on a Bridgeport. Next thing you know he starts it with the drawbar wrench still on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I find it helpful too look over the machine for a second before flipping the switch.

I just made a key because my boss left the last one in the machine and broke it. . . I am still badgering on him over it.

People have such little respect for machines even though they demand respect, I am surprised that there are not more accidents.

Show him this one for starters. . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9grSq-TWMQ

Then tell him his job is inherently dangerous and he will get his arm ripped off and beaten with said appendigy if he does not respect the machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guy has a shop near mine- self taught like me and one man shop.

He stores the keys in the chucks 24/7

I mentioned it one time and he got put off about safety Nazis..
    Young guy. I think he wants the key handy for the next time he loads something in the chuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machmann View Post
    Hello everyone,

After reading all the posts about problems with chuck wrenches I decided to register and join the forum.
    In July 2012, I received a patent for a chuck wrench with an integrated alarm system. Any time that the key is inserted into the
    chuck an audible alarm sounds to alert the operator to the danger at hand. I developed this wrench as a result of a serious injury
    sustained by a young machinist five years ago.

I, like many other machine shop managers had struggled with this problem for 34 years during my teaching career.
    Fortunately for me, this wasn't one of my students.

The chuck wrench can be seen on google or other search engines by typing alarmed chuck wrench.

Although I haven't started marketing the wrench yet, I hope to have it manufactured here in the usa and available for sell to the
    public within the next two years.

Thanks for reading this and God Bless and Happy and prosperous New Year to all.
    Reviving a 2 year old thread? and everyone starts again with chuck key stories and don't read the reason for the thread revival... ( or even realise it's an old thread )

I looked at your patent, and can't see why it's any better than the spring loaded chuck keys that seem to be becoming common... what happens when the batteries go flat?

Ray

5. Likes vonblowseph liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ray,
    Regarding the battery. It will be the responsibility of the supervisor at each shift to check the status of the battery. If owned by an individual,
    he or she would know to change the battery when it stops alarming. Trust me, this chuck wrench system will stop all accidents from happening in the future.

p.s. In regards to the post being an old thread. I knew it was an old thread but wanted to let people know that this system will be available in the near future.

Kindest Regards!

machmann

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Trust me, this chuck wrench system will stop all accidents from happening in the future."

Wow.

8. Likes machmann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Spencer,

This chuck wrench has been reviewed by many schools and machine shops and they have given wonderful reviews. Perhaps Ray
    doesn't understand the distinct disadvantages of the spring loaded key, particularly when attempting to use it when you are working
    with a four jaw chuck. Not being critical of Ray but seasoned machinists know how difficult and annoying the spring loaded key can be.

Have a blessed day!

machmann

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lathe Chuck Wrench Issues

Quote Originally Posted by machmann View Post
    Hi Spencer,

This chuck wrench has been reviewed by many schools and machine shops and they have given wonderful reviews. Perhaps Ray
    doesn't understand the distinct disadvantages of the spring loaded key, particularly when attempting to use it when you are working
    with a four jaw chuck. Not being critical of Ray but seasoned machinists know how difficult and annoying the spring loaded key can be.

Have a blessed day!

machmann
    Just yesterday one of the students at the University machine shop turned on a lathe without removing the wrench, there was a loud bang as the wrench hit the ways and bounced out across the floor. We have to turn in a near-miss report for safety if this happens. It is a deadly problem, teaching the "DO NOT LET THE CHUCK KEY LEAVE YOUR HAND" is the best practice (way I was taught). There are always learning curves and people forget. My lathe at home has a Variable Frequency Drive (which is also used for single to 3-phase conversion). It is easy to wire a switch in to keep the lathe from running if the chuck key is not hanging on a very convenient hook. I have only once left the wrench off hook in many years of using the lathe, the key was to the left on top of the lathe and not in the chuck when I attempted to turn it on(I learned from old-school machinists and had the fear of GOD preached to me about violating the "NOT LEAVE YOUR HAND" rule). I have recommended the same type hook for our lathes at the University; except, I would include a very loud buzzer and light that would go off when the lathe is attempted to be turned on without the key on the hook. There has to be something that scares new operators into good practices. I have to figure a way to set off an alarm if they do not tuck in their shirts or wear safety glasses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Our machine shop instructor used the "not leave your hand" rule. Three days outta school suspension first offense no questions asked. If you're suspended from school guess what you don't play basketball either.

Third time was out a whole semester, could've meant graduating with your class or not.

After all this time I still won't let loose of it.

Brent

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My vocational school autoshop teacher back in the early 80's had a better rule. if you left a drain plug anywhere BUT tight in the PAN or on your tool box you took it to the mill drilled a hole in it and wore it around your neck for the entire semester otherwise you were kicked out of the school, The machine shop teacher in that votech school did the same thing. carrying around a chuck key on your neck for a semester looked pretty heavy.

that being said I left them in my chuck a few times. then cuss myself out when it happens.happened to a Buddy of mine who had shop next door to ours and a machinist all his life. one early morning (like 4-5am) he hit the jog button and pinched his finger completely off. That was 20+ years ago and I hadnt left one in ever sence

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only time the chuck key goes in my chuck, the lathe is in neutral and the switch is off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago we had a visit from the new factory inspector for the area.
    We began talking about keys being left in chucks and said that one of his first investigations after an accident involved a guy who left the key in the chuck when he finished his shift. The weight of the key pulled the chuck around meaning it was out of sight to the guy starting his next shift who started up the lathe and was struck in the temple by one of the ends of the key.
    The guy died instantly and never knew what hit him.
    The inspector said he had photos of the aftermath but he kept them in a sealed envelope and only showed them if there was a serious happening involving a chuck key.
    He said the photos caused a few guys to be violently sick and leaving a key in the chuck was never questioned after that!

Buchanman

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recently had a student that was having issues with remembering. He got to do the old detention trick of writing "I will not leave the chuck key in the chuck" on a sheet of paper front and back. was not a problem after that.

at votech first offense you wore a key taped to your arm for the day. second offense you were removed from the class or assigned book work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This problem is so easily solved.
    It's called doing the training and expecting mistakes.
    Nuns do this watching over you and with a sharp rap of a ruler. It's not rocket science.
    If your student or employee is making this mistake you did not do your job as a super, teacher or mentor and need to look in the mirror for the real source of the problem.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found that having a designated spot on the machine for the key helped me break the habit.
    Add a note to the head stock.
    You can’t let it slide, some one can get hurt.

Spring keys can be dangerous because the ergo is bad, one more thing to pay attention to.

I suppose from a safety stand point, a lathe with electric clutches could be interlocked to a key holder...rfid if you wanted to get crazy.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Didnt read everyones responses..I assume we are talking about the t-handle chuck wrench..It is not one of those things i would over look. If it continues I would buy one of those spring loaded chuck wrenches. Someone could not only get hurt....potentially someone could get killed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have repeat offenders, don't let them run the machine until they sit down at a computer and Google lathe accident pics. Seeing a few of those will either get them on track or scare them out of the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have read most of the thread, then come back to here. Apparently, he is either defiant or untrainable. Neither is good - short additional period of patience on your part, then fixed or fired.
    Monoblanco

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I first got a lathe about 25 years ago, the first day I used it, I left the chuck handle in the chuck. I got an unpleasant surprise when I started the lathe with the chuck still in place. It came out and went whistling past my head. It landed on the other side of the shop about 25 feet away on the floor behind a grinder.

I never did that again. Ever since, it goes on a hook just above the lathe. It goes back on the hook at all times other than when it is use. It only took once to teach me a valuable lesson. Never again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an old Montgomery Wards drill press I bought in "69-70.It has a feature I thought was kinda nice.The chuck key is stored by putting one of the stems into a hole in the upper LH side of the head.It then makes the start circuit.Remove it and the drill won't start.

24. Likes StinkyDan liked this post