What's new
What's new

New Machine Day: Studer

drcoelho

Stainless
Model year 2021 Studer S20 cylindrical grinder, with all the options, includes OD and ID grinder heads, FINALLY installed and running in my shop:

AG0P1471.jpgAG0P1472.jpg

Last edited:
If it's a 2021, what do you mean by 'finally'? It could only have a taken a year at most....I have stuff I haven't gotten to in 20 years...!

Typical supply chain issues, manufactured in Switzerland, some delays due to parts Studer had to wait for, then took forever to get into port of Oakland, then there were a few glitches with the machine (lose wires, etc) that took some effort by United Grinding to debug, but all is good now. Due to the very limited width of my door through which the machine came through, I had a custom modification to the machine which allowed for the electrical cabinet to be removed, this introduced some complexity to the install.

One funny story, I was tracking the container ship from Europe to west coast of USA, usual panama canal delays, sat at Long Beach for quite a while, then started heading north, but to my surprise it completely bypassed Oakland and went all the way up to Wash St, then headed back to Oakland, added an additional few weeks. I guess this is because of congestion in Oakland port, but must add to cost to do all that extra distance.

That's beautiful. Let us know how long it takes you to remove that door!

Which door? Are you referring to the safety shield? It's pretty nicely designed, it slides out of the way when setting up a job...a new feature just added to the S20 on this latest round of machines.

She's a beaut, Clark!
Also it looks kind of small in the picture. What's the footprint of that?

Yes, very compact machine, for small parts, consistent with the limits of all the machines in my shop. Distance between centers max is approx 16". Overall the machine footprint is roughly 70" square. Here's more info if interested: S20 | UNITED GRINDING

Back