What's new
What's new

New to machining. Purchased lot of assorted indicators. Any input is appreciated

DIYShopTools

Plastic
Hi. I'm relatively new around here (been reading for some time but rarely find the time to post. There is such a wealth of knowledge and expertise here that someone like myself that's new to metalworking can learn an immeasurable amount without the need to even ask specific questions. However, a couple days ago I came into a couple questions that I'm not sure how I could answer them without specifically asking. Along with some interesting things that I felt compelled too share. With the context out of the way, I'll get to the point...

A couple days ago, I went and picked up a nice older Kysor Johnson horizontal metal cutting bandsaw for a couple hundred bucks. Along with it, I also bought a lot of machinist instruments/indicators for $110. In all, I believe there's 10-12 pieces. Some are very old very cool indicators that are worth very little aside from maybe as decoration. Some seem to be very nice, useful tools. Some are intriguing, broken, or I just have no idea what they are/how to use them. I'll get some pictures up shortly. But will start off with one question now that I don't think requires a picture (though I will still be adding one just in case it can help). One item is a Mahr Federal UMAXUM XL - model # XLI 20000. It's missing the battery holder/drawer/door/whatever it's called. Does anybody know if I can buy just this part somewhere? Or if there's a cheap/generic digital indicator that has the same battery drawer that I could pick up and use as a donor?

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance (both in this thread and for all I've learned just reading other threads)

... Mahr Federal UMAXUM XL - model # XLI 20000. It's missing the battery holder/drawer/door/whatever it's called.

Not sure if they stock them, but no one else on-planet has any reason to make these at all but the OEM:

Repair Service - Mahr Metrology

Or you can make "something" that can work, even if it ain't as pretty? How badly do you need the item, anyway?

Here's pics of the 2 accessories included as well as side-by-side pics of the Craftsman indicator and the Scherr / Tumico because of this threads: Older Dial Indicators, Craftsman brand... who made these for them?
It was old enough that I didn't wanna raise the dead. But still thought someone might find the pics helpful/interesting. In my "furthest thing from an expert" opinion, the 2 indicators seem very similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if Scherr Tumico is indeed Craftsman's OEM here.

20190605_040406.jpg20190605_040335.jpg20190605_040321.jpg20190605_040140.jpg

The brands are Craftsman (x1), Scherr / Tumico (x1), Starrett (x4), Brown & Sharpe (x1), Teclock (x1), Mahr / Federal (x1), and Ideal Tool (x1). My initial impressions are... while the Teclock seems to be the indicator with the lowest current (used) value, it strikes me as being quite well made. The plunger moves very well. It may have what feel like slight notches on it, but they're only noticeable if I push the plunger in by hand, if on an object, I don't notice it, there's not even a hint of sticking either. It wouldn't surprise me much if it turns out to be my most used gauge from this lot. The Brown & Sharpe is incredibly smooth and sensitive. The 0.00005 resolution blows my mind. I'll likely never need - nor be able to use - that kind of accuracy, but that capability is incredible IMO. The Mahr / Federal has the greatest current (used) value, but is missing the battery drawer, so I don't know if it even works yet. Any help with this would be HUGE - and I believe qualify you for Sainthood. The large yellow metric Starrett is broken and I have no idea how to go about fixing it. The Starrett depth gauge looks brand new, is suuuper smooth, and appears to be perfectly accurate. In my opinion, I think this single tool makes the purchase price on this entire lot worth it. Add in the Brown & Sharpe and it's a no-brainer. If the Mahr / Federal works, it's a steal (almost as much as the bandsaw). I know there's dial indicators, test indicators, thickness gauge and depth gauge. If any are for some special purpose or there are any specialty parts/accessories for any of these, I'd love to learn about it. Thanks again...

Not sure if they stock them, but no one else on-planet has any reason to make these at all but the OEM:

Repair Service - Mahr Metrology

Or you can make "something" that can work, even if it ain't as pretty? How badly do you need the item, anyway?
Thank you for the suggestion. I've sent them an email already asking about it and still awaiting a response. And yeah, I was considering making one too. Well. Specifically printing one. My concern at that point is battery direction, and any other possible contacts.

As far as how much I need it. I had one generic digital indicator when I bought these. So I have basically nothing else. Plus, I'd really hate for what's likely the most valuable instrument in this lot to wind up in a junk drawer or garbage

I'd find a precision instrument calibration/repair shop close to you and ask them about parts for the federal. It looks new enough that they would still have spares on their shelves. From my experience, it can be difficult to find odd individual parts for measuring tools online. You can occasionally find stuff on Ebay, but I've taken to just letting the "pro's" sort it out for me. Ebay's a good place to find cases and missing accessories though.

For plunger type indicators, if the action is notchy or the plunger doesn't return on its own it's often just goop on the plunger. Squirt of aerosol electronics cleaner in the stem, held upright so liquid runs out of the mechanism, will often set them right.

That tip fixed a whole box full of "busted" Federal indicators for me. 😁

The first two I am not too sure of. They could be collectors items or just old. The third and forth are usable. The Mahr indicator is in the several hundred dollar class: I don't know what the gauge it is mounted in is worth, but it also appears to be Mahr and probably worth a bit too.

All in all, you got a good deal.

I have been in contact with a local instrument shop near me about Mahr repairs and they said that they have some replacement parts from indicators that they could not economically repair. Other shops may have similar stocks. Contact some.

DIY: If the Craftsman indicator is in decent condition, It may be one of your most useful for general shop work. It was made by Scherr-Tumico years ago. I had one like it in my apprenticeship and loved it. Unfortunately, a shop mishap wiped it out. It is similar to a Starrett "Last Word" indicator and some tooling from a Last Word will work. All in all, you got a good deal. Good luck.

JH

Welcome to the fold, as it were! Looks like you got a decent haul there.

Did you get any of the other rods for the 443 Depth Mic?

If you look into getting a magnetic base to hold indicators recognize that some hardware that works with Brown & Sharpe will not work with Starrett and the other way around.

For example, the anvil that attaches to the back of a indicator will have a split hole clamp on the other end. But the diameters of the holes are not the same size.

That's a yellow dial to signify it's metric.
correct. The dial isn't yellowed, that's how it was made.

Thank you all very much for the input. I apologize for the late reply. It's been a hectic last few weeks and summer finally hit in full force here in Phoenix. Just in time to reward my outdoor maintenance with heat stroke. Good times...

I apologize if it seemed as though I was inquiring about value because I was considering selling them. That is definitely not the case. I was only asking to basically get a good idea what I have now so that I know what all needs I still need to address. I believe I got a great deal at $110 for the lot. But even if not, if I take the Kysor Johnson Model R horizontal bandsaw for $200 into consideration, my overall auction purchases definitely worked out in my favor... very strongly...

Why the question.
No real machinist would sell any of these.
You paid so little, keep them clean and dry and will them to your grandkids.
Bob

old machinist moving to a retirement home and only one room apartment. eventually everybody has got to get rid of stuff. many dont have any kids or wife who want any of the stuff. many dont want grandpas stuff. and when a person dies often nobody wants any old stuff as they feel like a vulture keeping a deceased persons stuff. sure might save some pictures but not old tools

Super smart to buy used tooling when you are getting started. For mill work, you really need a "thousandths" 0-.030" and a "tenths", 0-.005" test indicators. The Brown and Sharpe will be a favorite. That's a "half tenth" test indicator and will be useful for various inspection, and fine tramming work. Very nice tool. DON'T hose it down with WD-40 if its not running smooth. I'm not sure what its worth but it could be $50-100. Treat it with respect.

The little Last Word style thousandths indicators are not my personal favorites, but they can be useful. Keep them clean and they should provide good "old school" service. The Digital gage may be the least useful for you, at least initially. I would call that a snap gauge. Its like a fast, inaccurate micrometer. I wouldn't spend a lot of time on it. I'd be inclined to sell it for parts or find a broken one on ebay.

The long reach indicator is very typically used on lathes to directly indicate either the tool or the work piece (more typically the tool) such that you don't have to rely on the carriage dials. You'll need a MightyMag for that or something similar.

This is a good basic set of indicators that will definitely get you started.

Start shopping for a Noga arm or 2. I have a Noga spindle arm that I use fairing frequently. Other guys use the classic Indicol, that mounts on a BP spindle. I think tis good to have a large and a small Noga arm with mag bases. Don't waste your time with the old school arm and clamp models.

The other thing I'd get asap is a surface gage. Starrett made several models that you can find very inexpensively on ebay. Buy a few Starrett snugs that fit both your indicators and the surface gage's mast diameter and mount your test indicator to the mast.

These last 2 items will allow you to use the indicators you just bought.

Back