What's new
What's new

New to me grease fitting, Where can i get a gun attachment for it

TTalma

Aluminum
On the bearing block of my cnc machine there is a grease fitting that I have never seen before.Its the brass thing in the picture. It is a little smaller than 1/4" and is pressed in to the bearing block.

The bearings seem to be well greased currently, but THK the manufacturer of the bearing states it should be lubed every 100hrs, and I've got about 120 on them since I got the machine.

I have only seen zerk fittings and I wasn't able to find anything googling around, most likely since I don't know what it's called.

So does anyone know what these are called and where I can get a fitting for a grease gun for it?

20200622_163327.jpg

NB - if you read the blurb on the McMaster Carrs page, you'll see the OPs THK rails use a special grease etc etc etc

Hint ;- It's :eek: expensive

something like these:- Wanner grease guns

Use the 38410 concave nozzle.

That's what I use for a number of this type of nipples on my machines.

There's bound to be a US supplier somewhere, but you can fall back to these if you need to.

You could replace the fitting with a normal high pressure Zerk fitting, but I think that part of the idea is that it's a low pressure fitting.

:cheers:

I wonder how you clean the fitting to prevent little chips from getting in when regreasing. I'd like a little plastic cap that fits over it, like for Zerks. But the shape's not conducive to retention, is it...

Thanks, I popped the think out to see if I could put in some sort of standard zerk. But there just isn't room. These press in and it slipped outwith minimal effort so they can't be high pressure. It was hard to see inside but it looks like it is just a chamber where a small slit exposes the bearings to the grease.

I ordered a set of concave nozzles as suggested. If they don't work, I'll have to see if I can make some sort of pipe to hold a standard zerk or a special nozzle for the gun. Unfortunately I have to much work to do than to give up 1/2 day+ to something I can buy. Although projects like this are usually more fun!

My lathe has one of those grease nipples. I just made an adapter with a Zerk fitting on one end and a countersunk hole on the other that I press down on the fitting. It's a bit of a three-handed job to use it, but it works.

IIRC My HF adapter set (sadly no longer sold) has an adapter for just such fittings, along with
one for right angles.

Back