What's new
What's new

New to me Lodge & Shipley 20" Powerturn

Well my friend and I did a little road trip of about 200 miles today and picked up my new to me Lodge & Shipley Powerturn from member Hobby Machine. We used my friends Dodge Cummins Dually and other than it being a bit of a rough ride on what passes for roads in michigan it was great. I rented a trailer from SunBelt Rentals. The trailer was flawless, loading was easy, called the local towing company and they sent a wrecker capable of lifting 30 tons, a bit overkill but it worked great and the operator / driver was excellent. Hobby Machine was very helpful and great to deal with. We left my place about 8:30 AM, and were back to my shop by 10:00 PM with time out for 2 proper sit down meals at nice restaurants. As easy a day of machinery moving as you could ever ask for. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Well my friend and I did a little road trip of about 200 miles today and picked up my new to me Lodge & Shipley Powerturn from member Hobby Machine. We used my friends Dodge Cummins Dually and other than it being a bit of a rough ride on what passes for roads in michigan it was great. I rented a trailer from SunBelt Rentals. The trailer was flawless, loading was easy, called the local towing company and they sent a wrecker capable of lifting 30 tons, a bit overkill but it worked great and the operator / driver was excellent. Hobby Machine was very helpful and great to deal with. We left my place about 8:30 AM, and were back to my shop by 10:00 PM with time out for 2 proper sit down meals at nice restaurants. As easy a day of machinery moving as you could ever ask for. I'll post some photos when I get a chance.

Love it when machine-tools sorta "stay in the family". Helps with the history, questions that might come up, etc.

Only one I own NOT acquired from a PM member is a tiny Burke #4 mill. Much the same, easily half of my tooling and metrology bought from other members.

Never the least problem, either.

"In the fullness of time", I have hopes it will go back into the same "pool", too. Where else?

:)

I think these L&S machines are as good a lathe as has ever been made and every one deserves preservation. Since Monarch bought L&S, they still support these machines. Parts are expensive and Monarch does not have every piece, but the option is at least there. Hobby Machine was not able to do a good assessment of this lathe's condition. I'm pretty sure the new owner will. Please let us know how good it is with photos. She's a heavy beast and will require a damn good foundation and several leveling cycles to get right. I owned a Dodge Cummins Dually for 11 years and they are super trucks, but I would not have used mine to move that lathe, you were at the very edge of the trucks use envelope. I used a 35 ton crane and a 40' flat bed tractor/trailer rig to move mine. Good luck.

I think these L&S machines are as good a lathe as has ever been made and every one deserves preservation. Since Monarch bought L&S, they still support these machines. Parts are expensive and Monarch does not have every piece, but the option is at least there. Hobby Machine was not able to do a good assessment of this lathe's condition. I'm pretty sure the new owner will. Please let us know how good it is with photos. She's a heavy beast and will require a damn good foundation and several leveling cycles to get right. I owned a Dodge Cummins Dually for 11 years and they are super trucks, but I would not have used mine to move that lathe, you were at the very edge of the trucks use envelope. I used a 35 ton crane and a 40' flat bed tractor/trailer rig to move mine. Good luck.

That old Dodge towed that lathe / trailer with ease. Seemed almost effortless, my friend, who has owned that truck for 10 years said it felt like towing his box trailer and race car except cross wind had no effect.

Back