What's new
What's new

New to me Rockwell 21-100 need some advice

sniper695

Plastic
I just picked up a Rockwell 21-100 seems pretty complete other then a broken right handwheel for the left/right table.

I am mainly looking for advice on cleanup/tune up. Everything moves freely however they hand wheels seem stiffer then I would like. What is the best way to clean everything up/ lube to get it moving easily.

Or any other general advice, I have some mills, collets, ordered a set of good stubby drill bits, and a handle for the clamp.

I will be adding a VFD to convert it to single phase, any advice on where to mount it is appreciated.

I have the 2 handles that go on the front for raising/lowering and front back movement, just not pictured.

20200818_215456.jpg20200819_072945.jpg20200819_072947.jpg20200819_072953.jpg

You are in for a complete disassembly to get the rust off of the ways.
You have tapered gibs throughout so easy adjustment at reassembly.
No fore-aft tram adjustment on these models. Minor shimming is possible to take out a few thou.
Spindle bearingS are not precision matched so a cheap date if replacement is needed.

You will find many more Rockwell mill owners on the Home Shop Machinist web site. There was Rockwell mill forum on yahoo at one time, don’t know if it still exists.

This is a hobby machine so technically not allowed on this site.

I have had one of these for a few years, have done a number of upgrades/improvements, including VFD, Angular contact spindle and leadscrew bearings, motor upgrade, gib refitting, etc. Mine does pretty precise work, but I kind of wish that I had something a bit larger.

This group replaced Yahoo:
[email protected] | Topics

There is also a Rockwell forum here, and have posted my mods:
ROCKWELL, DELTA & AAMCO MANUFACTURING CO. | The Hobby-Machinist

I have had one of these for a few years, have done a number of upgrades/improvements, including VFD, Angular contact spindle and leadscrew bearings, motor upgrade, gib refitting, etc. Mine does pretty precise work, but I kind of wish that I had something a bit larger.

This group replaced Yahoo:
[email protected] | Topics

There is also a Rockwell forum here, and have posted my mods:
ROCKWELL, DELTA & AAMCO MANUFACTURING CO. | The Hobby-Machinist

Thanks I have a VFD I am going to install just need some time to get it wired up and mounted. My space is very limited I was excited when I saw this guy pop up because it would fit in my shop.

I have the mill hooked up and running, haven't had a chance to do anything else. Still looking for a handwheel if any one has a lead

You are in for a complete disassembly to get the rust off of the ways.
You have tapered gibs throughout so easy adjustment at reassembly.
No fore-aft tram adjustment on these models. Minor shimming is possible to take out a few thou.
Spindle bearingS are not precision matched so a cheap date if replacement is needed.

You will find many more Rockwell mill owners on the Home Shop Machinist web site. There was Rockwell mill forum on yahoo at one time, don’t know if it still exists.

This is a hobby machine so technically not allowed on this site.

Say what?:rolleyes5:

I work in a shop with one that its sole purpose is to notch tubes for bicycle and motorcycle frames using annular cutters. Has been in that service, reliably, for 10 years at least. It sits amongst BP's, Cincinnati, and K&T mills. It may be small, but it isn't Chicom dog crap.

Having used it, the short spindle throw sucks, but makes up for it with a lot of knee travel. Ours had an issues with the aluminum? head rotation gear. We re-broached the keyway 180 and got it onto fresh gear teeth, been working fine ever since.

I dont know if you would be interested.
A couple years back I cast several hand wheels out of aluminum. They are straight out of the sand and will need to be machined.
They were made to use the OEM graduated dial.
I sold maybe a dozen in the Rockwell group back when it was on Yahoo...

$25 shipped?

20200904_140535.jpg20200904_140538.jpg

How much machining do they need? I have never used a mill before and only have a wood lathe. Could a novice machine the aluminum using a wood lathe?

How much machining do they need? I have never used a mill before and only have a wood lathe. Could a novice machine the aluminum using a wood lathe?

Brass and aluminum can be turned on a wood lathe, using normal wood turning speeds. I got my first wood lathe in 1953 and soon figured out how to turn brass cannon barrels on it. The problem will be that most wood lathes do not have the sort of chuck or other device that is designed for holding metal parts.

I still use wood turning chisels to turn metal, including steel, on my metal lathes.

Larry

I dont know if you would be interested.
A couple years back I cast several hand wheels out of aluminum. They are straight out of the sand and will need to be machined.
They were made to use the OEM graduated dial.
I sold maybe a dozen in the Rockwell group back when it was on Yahoo...

$25 shipped?

View attachment 298501View attachment 298502

I'll try one, can you pm me (I can't figure out how lol) or email me at my user name @yahoo.com

@lazz if you still have any handwheels, I'd be interested in one. I don't know what the rules are regarding sales in this forum. I haven't signed in for years. My machines aren't allowed. But...I'd be real happy to get a handwheel.

Back