New to me Sheldon, question about HSS tools - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With regard to making the vast majority of HSS tooling, as others have said, hand grinding is by far the way to go. Yes, it can take a little while to get a 1/2" square blank ground to the basic shape, but not that much time - and I'm guessing it would be much quicker than mounting in a surface grinder and making the many, many, MANY multiple passes that would be required. Only if I needed a super-precision shape would I go to the trouble of grinding in a SG, and then only after I had gotten close to the shape needed with hand grinding. And absolutely no way would I risk the destruction of the ways of a CNC to grind in that.

One thing: be sure you are using the proper type of grinding wheel. Those "rocks" that come on the average bench grinder are way, way too hard. Ideally you want something around H or I hardness. Counter-intuitive, I know, but you will grind hardened steel much faster and cooler on a softer stone.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    One thing: be sure you are using the proper type of grinding wheel. Those "rocks" that come on the average bench grinder are way, way too hard. Ideally you want something around H or I hardness. Counter-intuitive, I know, but you will grind hardened steel much faster and cooler on a softer stone.
    Ummhhhh.. Takin' that to the extreme..and we were not MEANT to doo this, given how fast the friable wheels would git eaten-up...but ... 2d or 3d shift, fewer "eyes" about, work to git done, we'd often step over a foot or two and rough shape our Mo Max or Rex 95 on the "green grit" wheels meant to be used only for Carbolloy brazed carbides!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The interesting question would be how hard or soft those green stones were - not the grit, which presumably was silicone carbide or something like that, but the stone as a whole.

As I'm sure you know, the "hardness" grade of a grinding wheel is not a function of the actual abrasive; various aluminum oxide stones can range from super hard to super soft, but it's all aluminum oxide. IIRC, the difference is in the bonding of the grit. A "softer" stone has a weaker/softer binder, allowing dull abrasive to slough off and fresh, sharp abrasive to be presented to the work - thus actually grinding a hard steel faster than a "hard" stone, where the abrasive gets worn down but stays stuck to the wheel. Or something like that - I claim no expertise, and may not be recalling the reasoning correctly ... but I do recall being astonished when I first learned that I needed a "softer" stone rather than a harder one for grinding HSS, and equally astonished when I tried it and discovered how much better and faster the softer stone cut.

And of course, there is always the possibility of taking something to the extreme - if an H stone is better than an L, why not go all the way to something super-soft like an A? Because it will wear away too quickly ....