What's new
What's new

MikeMcD

Plastic
Hello,

New guy, my machine skills are limited to what I did as a small engine mechanic ( which as time went on was nothing due to the cost of replace vs fix) Anyway I picked up a south bend 9" o series from another member. Its a change gear, if I wanted to add a quick change box does it have to be from a 9 inch? I know the bed length and lead screw are an issue. I watched the YT video of the guy that added one to his and had to add length to his screw.

Thanks,

Mike

Greetings Mike.
If you have the gear set it is a good experience to learn how to change them, but agree it is handy to quick change.
Still, learn to turn, bore, thread, and grind a simple bit while you are planning a machine conversion.
Be sure the spinal headstock is taking oil. Handpick out all the chips and oil her down. Avoid pressure can stuff and don't wire brush the handwheel numbers.
What accessories did you get? A tail drill chuck, a half nut for threading, a drill set, a T tap wrench with a center, 4 jaw chuck, and a steady can be handy (and about in that order). A rocker tool post is fine/OK for one-ups and learning about running a lathe. and improve that after you get a decent 4 jaw.
Guys will say get a quick change tool post but there are other things that might come first.
Buck

There is a South Bend section on this website where there may be more or better advice available from actual experienced owners.

I can only say I have no idea what "o series" means, but I do know that SB made little lathes for decades and new model QC boxes may not readily work on older machines, or the opposite. I have seen some circa 1980 light 10" SB lathes that look like some of their parts may be the same as late 9" lathes.

Larry

Yes, I plan on changing them and may not even upgrade... just a thought. I downloaded the SB how to run a lathe book. It came with a tail drill chuck, a half nut for threading, a drill set, a T tap wrench with a center, a bunch of bits some new some used. A quick change post( knock off) and drill bits , some reamers and the change gears. Previous owner did a teardown and rebuild and paint job... its posted in here somewhere. 1922 south bend lathe is the title I think.

Many years ago I bought an SB9" and it still serves me well today for second operations on small stuff. The QC tool post is almost a must. The old Armstrong holders work but are slow to change and can twist on you. I still do use it sometimes however when I need to reach up in something and the QC post gets in the way. Mine was a B model and did not have the quick change gear box. I upgraded to the quick change and it made the lathe much more user friendly. Not just for threading but for general purpose turning as well. A lot of times I would just stick with whatever gear train I had because I was just too lazy or in a hurry to change it. The ability to change the X axis feed rate quickly and easily is a vast improvement. It was an easy upgrade and not very expensive at all considering the benefits. Yes it does require a shorter lead screw but I sold the old screw to a member here.

Back