What's new
What's new

new member needing help with Index 55

MGott

Plastic
Good day all, I’m new here and I’m needing some guidance. I recently acquired an old Index 55 vertical mill. When I got the mill, the quill lock was laying in a box. I can’t figure out how to get into place. Can someone give me some much needed instruction.

Good day all, I’m new here and I’m needing some guidance. I recently acquired an old Index 55 vertical mill. When I got the mill, the quill lock was laying in a box. I can’t figure out how to get into place. Can someone give me some much needed instruction.
I don't have one, so I don't know how much I can be. That being said, here's a link to the Wells Index website. Scroll down and there's a link to download the manual for the model 55.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply but I can’t seem to see the link. I’m on my iPhone in the shop maybe it won’t show up on here

PICS!! I think there is me and 1 other fella here with an index 55.

What do you need to know exactly?
I took all that apart/cleaned it out and reinstalled but there’s 2 models of the 55,

The regular 55 and the super 55

The “manual” is nearly worthless as there seems to be a second supplemental book that once accompanied the original manual. I talked to index and they had no idea where the rest of the manual is, they linked me the same line I sent you.

If your on iPhone then you need to set your webpage as “desktop webpage” in settings and then you’ll be able to post pictures directly from your phone.

But understand that will get you “Low res” photos.

In order to load photos full size you still need a desk top

Thanks for the reply but I can’t seem to see the link. I’m on my iPhone in the shop maybe it won’t show up on here
Sorry, that was screw-up on my end. Doing this from my phone. I thought I had added the link. I didnt. OOPS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

These are old pictures shortly after I got it moved into the garage. I’ve since disassembled and cleaned it up

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Next pic is the end rods, they where a factory option.

attachment.php

07D84BD3-8286-4BE7-82DE-6648B6B023D4.jpg

2FBF6097-D9DD-4B58-8DA8-E25F2BA4D8F4.jpg

The quill lock on the regular 55 is just a reverse thread screw with a D shaped head that accepted a removable handle, I temporarily welded a 3/8 ratchet u-joint to it that I previously broke in half so I have a removable handle

PI
CS!! I think there is me and 1 other fella here with an index 55.

What do you need to know exactly?
I took all that apart/cleaned it out and reinstalled but there’s 2 models of the 55,

The regular 55 and the super 55
Mine looks different than yours. I’ve been trying to get some pictures up but not having much luck. My problem is I can’t get the d stops into the slot. There isn’t enough room to slide the one in from the back and it won’t go all the way through the past the arbor. It looks the arbor needs to come all the way out to install the stops then put arbor back in

Attachments

• D34499B2-7D30-410A-979C-FE8BD1E730D9.jpg
    D34499B2-7D30-410A-979C-FE8BD1E730D9.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 44
Hmmm, did you contact index and pay for a serial card? I got mine, it gives a little bit of extra info.

I see your two pictures loaded!
That definitely is different from my setup.

Could you load a wider view picture or two for me, it’s hard to tell exactly what I’m looking at.

Does the rear stop have to have the head removed??

Someone put too many Ugga duggas on the tilt crank shearing the main pin that interfaces with the head.

I had to remove the head to fix that and let me tell you, the head is actually easy to remove once you get the belt guard off but MAN IS THAT CHUCK OF IRON HHHHEAVY!

That pic of your greatly resembles my knee lock, has a brass wedge and all just like it.

I won’t lie my quill lock SUCKS!

They just didn’t think the quill lock over on the early 55.

I can’t be sure but I get the feeling they may have sold the newer model as a “super 55” and the older models are just know as model 55.

Does yours have the drum switch at the top of the machine on the belt guard?

EDIT: I just did some research and yes it appears you have a super 55, the quill locks are different.

Could you do me a favor and tell me what the black knob at the top left does? The one that passes through the belt guard?? My 55 doesn’t have that

My drum switch is at the top mounted on the belt guard. Taking the head will not make any difference to get the stop in. The part that won’t allow the stop to slide in is ahead of where the head would come off. It sure looks to me the arbor needs to come out. Have you ever taken that out?

Arbor? You talking the spindle?
I did not remove teh spindle.

You have an index super 55.
AFAIK it doesn’t actually say “super” on it but it was sold as the super.

I have two drum switches and they are both on the left side of the machine on the main column/body. I don’t have that little black Knob on the front of the belt guard either, what is it?

Yes spindle, excuse my terminology. I’m still learning all the proper terms. The black knob is my drum switch. I have called and left a message with Wells/Index to see if there is anyone there that would know anything

The quill lock on my Super 55 looks like the one pictured at the bottom of post # 11 -- two brass (or bronze) cylinders with tapered ends; the rear brass cylinder is tapped and is pulled toward the front cylinder by the threaded lock shaft to lock the quill. Been a long time since I had it apart, but yes, it appears that the quill must be removed to insert the rear (tapped) brass cylinder.

The quill lock on my Super 55 looks like the one pictured at the bottom of post # 11 -- two brass (or bronze) cylinders with tapered ends; the rear brass cylinder is tapped and is pulled toward the front cylinder by the threaded lock shaft to lock the quill. Been a long time since I had it apart, but yes, it appears that the quill must be removed to insert the rear (tapped) brass cylinder.

Yes the super 55 had a completely different (re-designed) quill lock compared to the early “regular” 55.

My index 55 doesn’t even have the “pocket” for that brass wedge setup to tuck into.

Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I actually got a hold of Wells/Index and talked to a guy in their shop. I think I know what needs to be done to get the arbor out and stop installed. Planning to do that tonight. I’ll you all know how it goes

Thanks for all the reply’s guys. I actually got a hold of Wells/Index and talked to a guy in their shop. I think I know what needs to be done to get the arbor out and stop installed. Planning to do that tonight. I’ll you all know how it goes

Did you order your serial card from them?? It’s a cool thing to have

attachment.php

Back